Latest post Mon, Oct 14 2019 3:21 PM by jlomicka. 55 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 8 2019 9:20 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

Re: 96K audio?

jlomicka:

I will try again.

I went into the source code to see what is really happening, and ineed I spoke too soon, there IS a way to stay at 96Khz through export, even without 96Khz video hardware, and that is to export as "Audio", and choose 96Khz (.WAV) there.  It also works if you export as Quickitme Reference and mix down the audio to 96Khz there (which is just another way to generate .WAV).  Both of these will preserve full fidelity.  You have to choose the 96Khz in Avid's export dialog, NOT just in Apple's Quicktime Options dialog.

I've not been understanding how and where you "exported my sequences as 96k by selecting that audio option in ProRes 422 HQ".  I asked before, but I'm still not sure, is this a "Quicktime" export where you hit the "options" dialog and get Apple's QT settings window, and choose 96Khz there?  Or is this an MXF OP1A workflow? Or something else?

I checked the Quickitme path in the debugger, and it is definitely NOT feeding 96Khz to Apple's export code.  Media Composer is converting to project sample rate (48Khz) and feeding that to Apple's Quicktime library, whcih converts it to whatever you select in their "Options" dialog. I am quite certain of this, as I stepped through it in the debugger. If you were told otherwise, I could understand how somebody might think so, but it is not how it actually works. Media Composer doesn't really have visibilty into what you choose in Apple's "options" dialog.

What project format are you working in?  I want to try to reproduce this.  I was looking for Pro Res under MXF OP1A export, to see if you could get 96tKhz there, but I didn't see it listed. I want to try that with and without the Nitris DX attached, and see if I can set up a Pro Res OP1A workflow, and figure out what work would be required to expand that to include the full suite of sample rates, as is done for "Audio".

Bottom line, however, is that I think your best workflow is going to be to export Quicktime Reference, pre-rendering all the video effects, and using the QT Ref export dialog to select a mix down of the audio to 96Khz .WAV.  You can then take the resulting .MOV and its referenced material into an external application to export as a single .MOV file with embedded 96Khz audio and Pro Res video.  (There are several applications that can do that.)  Not a bad workflow, really, because QT reference export is very fast, and you can let the ProRes encoder work in the background while you continue to edit in Media Composer. 

Thank you for your boundless patience! I am sorry that my workflow has been unclear and my posts have been rather confusing. I had attached grabs but I dragged and dropped pix and I'm not sure that worked. I have now tried in another way. They show my export stages. Hope this helps. I have used Quicktime Movie/Custom/Format Options/Movie Settings and setting video codec and audio export sample rate there. So this method will not give me unconverted 96k but the audio will have been coverted from 96k to 48k and back to 96k again using this method?

Sorry that the grabs have come in so large. I am using Prores 4444 as 'Compression Type'.

Best, Phil

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 8 2019 9:24 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

And my project settings...

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 9 2019 10:06 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

jlomicka:
    Media Composer doesn't really have visibilty into what you choose in Apple's "options" dialog.

This comment made me think - does this just apply to audio or video settings as well i.e when I select the 'ProRes 4444' codec through ProRes HQ/Custom/Format Options/Movie Settings when exporting my seqeunce is that choice also not being seen by MediaComposer? If so, what resolution is it exporting as?

Best, Phil

• Wed, Oct 9 2019 11:04 AM In reply to

insch:
    I select the 'ProRes 4444' codec through ProRes HQ/Custom/Format Options/Movie Settings when exporting my seqeunce is that choice also not being seen by MediaComposer? If so, what resolution is it exporting as?
    Media Composer sends whatever is in your sequence, in your project format, into the QT encoder.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 9 2019 11:16 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

Job ter Burg:

insch:
    I select the 'ProRes 4444' codec through ProRes HQ/Custom/Format Options/Movie Settings when exporting my seqeunce is that choice also not being seen by MediaComposer? If so, what resolution is it exporting as?
    Media Composer sends whatever is in your sequence, in your project format, into the QT encoder.

Thanks - that makes sense

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 2:31 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

Hi

I've now exported my sequences from MC as ProRes 4444. I have imported them into DaVinci Resolve and paired them with my orginal 96k audio files. So far, so good. I had to buy DaVinci Studio because the free version couldn't work with full 4k, only ultra HD. My understanding is that Resolve is not coverting the footage when imported - that all seems to be fine.

I am now trying to get a 96k export but my sequences are being exported as 48k. Some forum posts (admittedly quite old) talk about Resolve only being able to export up to 48k. I hope not after all this. I am still looking. Have you guys worked with 96k in Resolve?

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 2:54 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 416
    • Points 4,900

Whcih version of Da Vinci Resolve are you running I think I read or saw a video on Blavkmagic that Resolve 16 suppots 96,000khz.

https://www.4kshooters.net/2018/05/17/blackmagic-davinci-resolve-15-beta-3-is-now-available-for-download/

I'l check my Resolve and seee if I can see support for 96.000khz. Other option may be you have to use Pro Tools Ultimate to match to the original sound files based on tiemcdoe for 96,000khz output.

Avid Media Composer 2019.7, Pro Tools 2019.6 MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 OSX Mojave 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 11 2019 3:23 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

Leo Baker:

Whcih version of Da Vinci Resolve are you running I think I read or saw a video on Blavkmagic that Resolve 16 suppots 96,000khz.

https://www.4kshooters.net/2018/05/17/blackmagic-davinci-resolve-15-beta-3-is-now-available-for-download/

I'l check my Resolve and seee if I can see support for 96.000khz. Other option may be you have to use Pro Tools Ultimate to match to the original sound files based on tiemcdoe for 96,000khz output.

Thank you Leo

I'm using the latest - v16. My imported audio files in Resolve are showing as 96k but its just not exporting the sequences as 96k - just like Media Composer.

I have just been on the phone to Blackmagic support and they have informed me that Resolve always exports as 48k so this has been a waste of time and money after all going down the Resolve route. It was advised by Avid tech support. I had no idea that delivering these clips as 96k would be so difficult. I don't have ProTools unfortunately. Is there another way I can pair these audio files to my video export from MC? All i need to add is a mix in and out of audio and a tweak on levels. I have prepared the 96k stereo audio files in MOTU Digital Performer and just need to sync them to each sequence from MC and create HD and 4k 96k deliverables.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks Confused

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 3:30 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 416
    • Points 4,900

That's very annoying and strange they support 96,000khz import but then the user of the software has no means in Resolve to export this as 96,000khz? And you are stuck with 48,000khz in Reoslve as the only audio output option.

The only other option I can see would maybe you have to merge/attatch the audio 96,000khz export from MOTU Digital Performer and somehow marry this to the clip? If not then the only thing you could do would be deliver the sequence from Avid Media Composer of your edit as video ony, then have a seperated audio only export from MOTU which would be 96,000khz?

Are you on a MAC OR PC?

Thanks,

Leo

Avid Media Composer 2019.7, Pro Tools 2019.6 MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 OSX Mojave 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 11 2019 3:34 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 416
    • Points 4,900

I was reading that if you export as Cineform it will retain 96,000khz.

"Are you using Premiere CC? Choose QuickTime, and then GoProCineform YUV 10-bit and that does offer the 96k audio option"

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 3:42 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

Leo Baker:

That's very annoying and strange they support 96,000khz import but then the user of the software has no means in Resolve to export this as 96,000khz? And you are stuck with 48,000khz in Reoslve as the only audio output option.

The only other option I can see would maybe you have to merge/attatch the audio 96,000khz export from MOTU Digital Performer and somehow marry this to the clip? If not then the only thing you could do would be deliver the sequence from Avid Media Composer of your edit as video ony, then have a seperated audio only export from MOTU which would be 96,000khz?

Are you on a MAC OR PC?

Thanks,

Leo

It certainly is annoying and Media Composer works in the same way. I have manged to import 96k audio files in both programmes but neither will export as 96k (at least without specific hardware in MC's case). I might see if I can deliver the finished sequences as 48k and then provide the 96k audio as separate files from DP and maybe they can work with that. I'm on a Mac.

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 3:47 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

Leo Baker:

I was reading that if you export as Cineform it will retain 96,000khz.

"Are you using Premiere CC? Choose QuickTime, and then GoProCineform YUV 10-bit and that does offer the 96k audio option"

In Media Composer or Resolve? I don't have Premiere CC, at least I do but would need to reactivate the licence. Don't really want to spend more money on a third package. MC also offers 96k export within ProRes but I've been reliably informed that, since I can't set my project sample rate higher than 48k, MC will take my 96k files, convert them to the project rate of 48k and then send that to the output stage defined by the QT settings and upres audio back to 96k. So I'll lose the integrity of my files.

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 4:46 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

jlomicka:

Bottom line, however, is that I think your best workflow is going to be to export Quicktime Reference, pre-rendering all the video effects, and using the QT Ref export dialog to select a mix down of the audio to 96Khz .WAV.  You can then take the resulting .MOV and its referenced material into an external application to export as a single .MOV file with embedded 96Khz audio and Pro Res video.  (There are several applications that can do that.)  Not a bad workflow, really, because QT reference export is very fast, and you can let the ProRes encoder work in the background while you continue to edit in Media Composer. 

It would be great to know your recommendations on programmes that can export 96k in this way since I now know that Resolve is not one of them. Thanks

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 6:16 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 416
    • Points 4,900

I only have Final Cut Pro X,  Da Vinci Resolve Studio, Pro Tools Non HD, and Media Composer 2019.9. I'll have a look around to see if anyway i can export 96hz with other applications not sure which ones the Avid technician used as not named which can export 96khz as lookng online now at various transcoding software like FFMPEG etc.

• Fri, Oct 11 2019 7:06 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

Leo Baker:

I only have Final Cut Pro X,  Da Vinci Resolve Studio, Pro Tools Non HD, and Media Composer 2019.9. I'll have a look around to see if anyway i can export 96hz with other applications not sure which ones the Avid technician used as not named which can export 96khz as lookng online now at various transcoding software like FFMPEG etc.

Thanks Leo Smile

Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller