Latest post Thu, Sep 26 2019 4:16 PM by Cutyes. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 11:45 AM

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,595

Disembedded audio from BM SDI-to-HDMI converter extremely loud?

Is anyone familiar with the Blackmagic Mini Converter SDI-to-HDMI and using disembedded analog audio from it? I am currently in an editing suite where the signal path is...

MacPro (2013) -> BM UltraStudio Express ->

via SDI (embedded audio) -> BM SDI-to-HDMI converter ->

via HDMI (embedded audio) to TV ->

via unbalanced audio out from TV -> Mixer

Instead of the unbalanced audio (from TV to mixer) I would like to utilize the balanced audio outputs of the SDI-to-HDMI converter. So I connected the converter to the mixer, using TRS-jack <-> XLR cables. The audio now finds its way to the mixer but with an apparently very high volume. Mixer faders are just a little bit above nothing and the signal already starts clipping. Input gain on the mixer is set to minimum and my avid mix is far from being too loud. Am I overseeing an option to reduce the volume of the SDI-embedded audio before it arrives at the mixer?

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 1:20 PM In reply to

Re: Disembedded audio from BM SDI-to-HDMI converter extremely loud?

What mixer are you using? I recall having used Mackie mixers that would have balanced TRS inputs for line inputs, but XLR inputs for MIC inputs. If you are feeding a balanced line signal into an input of a Mic preamp, it would pretty soon starts to overload.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 1:32 PM In reply to

Things to check.

1. Mixer for TRIM/GAIN input level. Or a button for line level.

2. The cable is correct and not damage

3. Not sure about the converter, but see if there is a jumper or software setting to change audio line levels.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 4:16 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,595

HI-LA-RI-OUS! It is not a Mackie but something pretty much alike. I was one zillion percent sure that those inputs were NO mic connectors and therefore did not bother to check again. ;) So thank you, Sherlock ter Burg! And, of course, thank you for your suggestions, too, Dom Q. Silverio.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller