Latest post Fri, Sep 27 2019 1:24 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:32 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Idea [I] Tech Update: Update: Reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices

Tech Update: Update: Reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices 

Here we go with the latest tech update from Avid on the Mac reboot issue.

https://tinyurl.com/y2vvn9cp

Questions let me know....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 9:09 AM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Re: Tech Update: Update: Reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices

Thanks for all the updates. Obviously we now know Chrome caused the issue. However please could we have some clarity on why this appears to have particularly affected systems which had Media Composer installed too.

Chrome has a huge install base, so what was it about the system makeup that in some cases meant Chrome + Media Composer = potential problem? Has Media Composer or IO hardware drivers been altering SIP settings in the past? Would be good to understand this side of it, if indeed there is anything.

Clearly the faulty update from Google which KO'ed peoples system is not Avid's fault, but I think its fair to say there is more to this than just saying 'it was Chrome'.

If it was just all a conincidence, then OK great.

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 10:48 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,226
    • Points 14,835

It's not Chrome in particular, it's Google Auto-update which works across their products. So you might not use Chrome but if you use Calendar or other you were potenlially in trouble.

There is also a lot of BlackMagic "victims", but they are less vocal than Avid users - and don't have the same effect on Variety and similar media outlets. What's in common is that all were using machines with SIP deactivated.

Why would you disable SIP? Because you're running third party hardware (most likely a more beefy GPU) which requires drivers that are not blessed by Apple. Or you're using modified system extensions that let you use the full potential of your GPU - as the stock extensions from Apple are castrating your hardware. Or because you're using an eGPU and again, you have to use modified extensions because what Apple provides is half-baked.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 11:18 AM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Go it, thanks. Kind of surprising that anyone operating a high end cutting room would use essentially cobbled together kexts for eGPUs on a MacPro, but guess it was all good until this.

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 1:39 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,226
    • Points 14,835

Me too. But when you see that a RX580, a gpu offcially blessed by Apple doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled and that hacking one kext enables it, allowing for 4 times faster H264 encodes, real time HEVC decode and so on, it's quite tempting to disable SIP...

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mark.burton:

Thanks for all the updates. Obviously we now know Chrome caused the issue. However please could we have some clarity on why this appears to have particularly affected systems which had Media Composer installed too.

Chrome has a huge install base, so what was it about the system makeup that in some cases meant Chrome + Media Composer = potential problem? Has Media Composer or IO hardware drivers been altering SIP settings in the past? Would be good to understand this side of it, if indeed there is anything.

Clearly the faulty update from Google which KO'ed peoples system is not Avid's fault, but I think its fair to say there is more to this than just saying 'it was Chrome'.

If it was just all a conincidence, then OK great.

Mark et al....   It was prodominantly seen in LA but also across the globe but the variety peice jumping the gun caused more emotional dialog in LA.  

It would occur on any Mac with or with MC, PT, Adobe etc... if the Mac was 10.11 and higher and the SIP ( Security Interface Protection) was turned off. It could also occur on a pre 10.11 Mac as 10.10 and earlier didnt have SIP.  

Many Mac users in the editing field try to gleen as much use out of their Mac's and as such, when the OS is updated, a driver or something like TB doesnt work well.  They disable SIP, install the "driver(s) needed, and then dont enable SIP back.

The prefect storm was a chrome keystone update that had a bug which was able to get thro9ugh those systems with SIP diabled.  Thus causing the reboot cycle.  Not until the Mac was booted in safe mode / recovery mode and the OS installed over the existing, did the Mac return to function.

MC doesnt alert the SIP.  MC Installers dont alert the SIP.   Avid doesnt recommend that SIP be diabled.  

For 3rd Party GPU drivers, those companies are saying that the user would need to disable SIP to install the driver, but then should be able to re-enable SIP after install to work with the GPU.

Another rumor......   Avid export to desktop requires SIP be disabled.   FALSE!!!!!  

Avid export to the desktop does NOT require disabling SIP.

It was Chrome with the bug's fault Marc in that the bug is what started the whole thing but the SIP being disabled by the users themselves was also part of the perfect storm  as Mac's and OS comes with SIP enabled and Avid DOES not do anything to the SIP at all.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

pierreh:

Me too. But when you see that a RX580, a gpu offcially blessed by Apple doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled and that hacking one kext enables it, allowing for 4 times faster H264 encodes, real time HEVC decode and so on, it's quite tempting to disable SIP...

Pierreh

True but enabling SIP is also a must after the hacking takes place :)

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mark.burton:

Go it, thanks. Kind of surprising that anyone operating a high end cutting room would use essentially cobbled together kexts for eGPUs on a MacPro, but guess it was all good until this.

Thats what happens when people want to get the most out of their hardware - so they fiddle and diddle to make it work.  Also cards like some NVIDIAs dont work - Apple wont qual them... so it becomes a pissing contest and the way around it for a user is to disable SIP and use the stuff anyway.

Just got to remeber to turn it back on.   

Another common scanario.... cloning to update many many systems.  If the cloned drive has SIP off, the units upgaded end up that way. Had a sight with 85 down and that was why.... chrome keystone update, SIP disables and 10.12.6.

Perfect Storm

:)

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:52 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,135

"Another rumor......   Avid export to desktop requires SIP be disabled.   FALSE!!!!!   

Avid export to the desktop does NOT require disabling SIP."

This is not true. On 10.13.4 with MC 2018.5,  I have personally had to disable SIP, then adjust permissons on the internal hard drive, to get AAF's to export to the desktop. It might be fixed now in recent OS's but I 100% have had to do this.

Also, on OS's 10.14.5 and 10.14.6, before 2019.8 Nexis client came out, I have had to disable SIP to get the Nexis to show up in the Nexis client manager.

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:56 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,190

Was really unfortunate the way it went down. What a few days you guys must have had. Some consolation for figuring out it had nothing to do with Avid. Hampers incoming from Google I hope.

• Fri, Sep 27 2019 11:08 AM In reply to

mark.burton:

Was really unfortunate the way it went down. What a few days you guys must have had. Some consolation for figuring out it had nothing to do with Avid. Hampers incoming from Google I hope.

Hampers! Its should be Lamborghinis for all staff at least. (then some of them will have 2 :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Sep 27 2019 1:24 PM In reply to

kkordisch:
    This is not true. On 10.13.4 with MC 2018.5,  I have personally had to disable SIP, then adjust permissons on the internal hard drive, to get AAF's to export to the desktop. It might be fixed now in recent OS's but I 100% have had to do this.

No app, even Avid, should ever require SIP to be disabled especially to the desktop of the current user for basic functions. That is either a bug that should be reported or corruption on the OS side. I oversee hundreds of Avids and assist other clients with hundreds more, I never once heard this. If this was the solution, I would have definitely stopped using that version of MC or re-imaged the Mac.

kkordisch:
    Also, on OS's 10.14.5 and 10.14.6, before 2019.8 Nexis client came out, I have had to disable SIP to get the Nexis to show up in the Nexis client manager.

If the Nexis client is not the approved version, disabling SIP to force it to work would be a risk the user has taken on.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller