Latest post Tue, Sep 17 2019 9:11 PM by Sam Beckett. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 11 2019 8:28 PM

Does # of Projects on Workspace Affect Performance?

I'm working on a multi-season, episodic tv show.  We have a "Projects" partition where each season of episodes is separated into different folders.  We only work out of the latest folder, but it's not uncommon to open a bin from another, older project, so it's handy to have them all in the same place.  120+ Episodes (projects) in 6 Seasons (folders).  ~500 GB & 180,000 files.

Our Avid tech company suggested that we move the old season folders to a separate workspace to avoid "slowing the system down."  I've never heard of this being an issue and wanted to see if there is any truth or evidence that having too many project files on the same workspace is a problem.

I fully understand that the Attic is a completely different story.  The more files it holds, the slower it will perform is a proven issue.  Because of that, we only keep attic files for the current season and regularly rename the folder to force Avid to create a new one.  Since we rarely "switch" to any older projects and only open the bins from within a current one, the older episode doesn't get re-added in the attic anyway.

Thanks!

• MC 2018.12.7 [NEXIS 19.8.0.2 | Avid Artist DNxID] • iMac Pro (2017) [OS 10.13.6 | 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 17 2019 9:11 PM In reply to

Re: Does # of Projects on Workspace Affect Performance?

For anyone wondering, according to Avid Support, "there's no indication on the advisable limit of projects that you can save in a workspace," which is what I thought and makes sense.  The only limit is the size of the project files compared to the size of the workspace.

I don't think we'll separate them out, but I'm still curious if anyone else has heard of this or has a different method for referencing multiple seasons of projects.

• MC 2018.12.7 [NEXIS 19.8.0.2 | Avid Artist DNxID] • iMac Pro (2017) [OS 10.13.6 | 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller