Latest post Fri, Sep 6 2019 3:04 PM by lextv. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 6 2019 10:10 AM

• lextv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 29 2019
    • Posts 13
    • Points 135

AvidAppManHelper massive cpu hog and sleep preventer!

For as long as I can remember my mac has been plagued with random temperature increases and problems going to sleep. This morning, I finally fired up Activity monitor (better late than never) and took a look under the hood only to see that 'AvidAppManHelper' is running several hundred threads and burning through my cpu.

After uninstalling Avid Link, everything is back to normal. No 'AvidAppManHelper' running in the background chewing up my cpu, and my system sleeps perfectly again. My media composer is uneffected, but I suppose I'll need to reinstall and deinstall if I want to reactivate the licence.

• Fri, Sep 6 2019 2:04 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,971
    • Points 21,720
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: AvidAppManHelper massive cpu hog and sleep preventer!

Hello lextc,

Did you install the latest version of AvidLink 2019.8?

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 6 2019 2:06 PM In reply to

• lextv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 135

• Fri, Sep 6 2019 2:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,666
    • Points 223,900
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey Lex

what happens if you quit appmanhelper all together.....   thats what I do and it frees up some memory.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Sep 6 2019 3:04 PM In reply to

• lextv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 135

Hi Marianna

I hope you're well.

That'd probably work, but with respect, I'm not sure why I should need to. Avid link is a pretty simple looking app and it shouldn't need to run hundreds of threads and cosume a load of memory. Given that I don't really use it and have no need for it (other than it being the default way to licence and update), it's a lot simpler to just remove it with the uninstaller. Now my mac behaves better, and no doubt the battery is lasting longer because it sleeps when not in use.

I'll try again next time it's updated, but (as I'm sure you hear all the time) it sometimes gets frustrating when we end users feel like your free beta testers.

Lex

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller