Latest post Thu, Sep 5 2019 2:41 PM by petermcauley. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 3 2019 7:31 PM

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 422
    • Points 5,310

Why is BCC so expensive?

I simply don't understand why BCC complete is so expensive - it costs more than Avid itself, (even the 'freelance friendly' annual subscription is twice the price of Avid support) and more than 6 times the price of Da Vinci Resolve Studio one time purchase price. The BCC lite, which comes with the Symphony option, contains a very mean 4 filters and currently does not activate with 2019. It has been useful in the past and when transferring work between suites and facilities but there are alternatives and you end up paying for a lot of cheesy transitions, in amongst a few but truly useful plugins. Pound fo pound it has to be one of most staggeringly expensive plugins. I am convinced also this is why I am seeing it less and less at facilities I work at in UK now.

I would just like to know from Boris here why that is so and surely why a more cost effective pricing model (especially for Avid users), would not keep the product at the top? And please at the very least release a new BCC lite for 2019.

MC with Symphony option, 2019.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Intensity Shuttle... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 3 2019 8:29 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,524
    • Points 42,490

Re: Why is BCC so expensive?

Plugins have always been expensive because they were somewhat of a niche tool that was not going to sell the same number of units.

But Boris now has an almost monopoly. They acquired the grandfater of plugins - Sapphire and some others.  No one has really stepped up to challenge them in any real way.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Sep 3 2019 8:40 PM In reply to

Hi!

I'd like to respond to your post regarding the cost of BCC (Continuum) plug-ins for Avid MC 2019.

So, to start, the BCC Lite bundle that you make mention of was ended by Avid earlier this year because they decided that including / bundling product from other non-Avid vendors was not soemthing that they would continue. We had absolutely no say over the matter - it's 100 percent on the Avid side.

In regard to the pricing question - Avid is a very expensive host for which to develop plug-ins as they have their own custom API which requires a separate development path than OFX or AE hosts. Considering that there are about 250 filters in the full Continuum suite, the price per filter is really not that high. Plus, users do not have to purchase the full Continuum suite of fitlers - we listened to the community that we serve and created what are called Units and Premium fitlers. Continuum is comprised of about 250 filters grouped into 17 units. Each of the Units can be purchased indepently of each other so, for instance, if you are only indersted in the filters from the Key & Blend group, you can purchase that Unit for a fraction of the cost of the full suite. Also, if you  are only interested in one or two filters, then you can select from about a dozen differrent single filters for a fraction of the Unit price.

And finally, this brings me to the other picing options - we offer perpetual and subscription licening for all hosts so the product can essentially be rented on an annual basis at a lowered cost of the older perpetual licensing model.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

• Tue, Sep 3 2019 8:45 PM In reply to

And now, without the typos (sorry about that!) :)

Hi!

I'd like to respond to your post regarding the cost of BCC (Continuum) plug-ins for Avid MC 2019.

So, to start, the BCC Lite bundle that you make mention of was ended by Avid earlier this year because they decided that including / bundling product from other non-Avid vendors was not something that they would continue. We had absolutely no say over the matter - it's 100 percent on the Avid side.

In regard to the pricing question - Avid is a very expensive host for which to develop plug-ins as they have their own custom API which requires a separate development path than OFX or AE hosts. Considering that there are about 250 filters in the full Continuum suite, the price per filter is really not that high. Plus, users do not have to purchase the full Continuum suite of filters - we listened to the community that we serve and created what are called Units and Premium filters. Continuum is comprised of about 250 filters grouped into 17 units. Each of the Units can be purchased independently of each other so, for instance, if you are only interested in the filters from the Key & Blend group, you can purchase that Unit for a fraction of the cost of the full suite. Also, if you  are only interested in one or two filters, then you can select from about a dozen different single filters for a fraction of the Unit price.

And finally, this brings me to the other pricing options - we offer perpetual and subscription licensing for all hosts so the product can essentially be rented on an annual basis at a lowered cost of the older perpetual licensing model.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

• Tue, Sep 3 2019 10:07 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 422
    • Points 5,310

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your clear and comprehensive (and quick) reply.

MC with Symphony option, 2019.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Intensity Shuttle... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 4 2019 7:02 PM In reply to

To follow on from Peter:

If you purchase any of the Units, but then later decide to get the full package, the price of the package is prorated to factor in your earlier purchase. 

So, you could purchase Units as needed per project, earn your money back from using the effects on the job. Then eventually you could buy the full kit at a fraction of the price all subsidized ahead of time by your paying clients. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Sep 5 2019 9:30 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 544
    • Points 6,945

petermcauley:

Hi!

So, to start, the BCC Lite bundle that you make mention of was ended by Avid earlier this year because they decided that including / bundling product from other non-Avid vendors was not soemthing that they would continue. We had absolutely no say over the matter - it's 100 percent on the Avid side.

In regard to the pricing question - Avid is a very expensive host for which to develop plug-ins as they have their own custom API which requires a separate development path than OFX or AE hosts. Considering that there are about 250 filters in the full Continuum suite, the price per filter is really not that high. Plus, users do not have to purchase the full Continuum suite of fitlers - we listened to the community that we serve and created what are called Units and Premium fitlers. Continuum is comprised of about 250 filters grouped into 17 units. Each of the Units can be purchased indepently of each other so, for instance, if you are only indersted in the filters from the Key & Blend group, you can purchase that Unit for a fraction of the cost of the full suite. Also, if you  are only interested in one or two filters, then you can select from about a dozen differrent single filters for a fraction of the Unit price.

And finally, this brings me to the other picing options - we offer perpetual and subscription licening for all hosts so the product can essentially be rented on an annual basis at a lowered cost of the older perpetual licensing model.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

Hey Peter. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on title studio. Can I create a 3d environment and and elements, floor, background etc like I can with Red? I wouldn't mind updating to take advantage of the new features but I would like to know how indepth studio is. 

• Thu, Sep 5 2019 1:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,786
    • Points 225,465
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

petermcauley:

And now, without the typos (sorry about that!) :)

Hi!

So, to start, the BCC Lite bundle that you make mention of was ended by Avid earlier this year because they decided that including / bundling product from other non-Avid vendors was not something that they would continue. We had absolutely no say over the matter - it's 100 percent on the Avid side.

In regard to the pricing question - Avid is a very expensive host for which to develop plug-ins as they have their own custom API which requires a separate development path than OFX or AE hosts. Considering that there are about 250 filters in the full Continuum suite, the price per filter is really not that high. Plus, users do not have to purchase the full Continuum suite of filters - we listened to the community that we serve and created what are called Units and Premium filters. Continuum is comprised of about 250 filters grouped into 17 units. Each of the Units can be purchased independently of each other so, for instance, if you are only interested in the filters from the Key & Blend group, you can purchase that Unit for a fraction of the cost of the full suite. Also, if you  are only interested in one or two filters, then you can select from about a dozen different single filters for a fraction of the Unit price.

And finally, this brings me to the other pricing options - we offer perpetual and subscription licensing for all hosts so the product can essentially be rented on an annual basis at a lowered cost of the older perpetual licensing model.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

Excellent recap and explanation.  Thanks so much Peter....  and yes it was 100% Avid and our product team that decided on removing the bundle.  Dont know why but i think it had something to do with the support component as we were asked to troubleshoot a lot of 3rd party of which we had little training.  BCC was not the cause but the collateral damage when we removed them all.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 5 2019 2:41 PM In reply to

I'd be happy to provide some insight into Title Studio.

So although Boris RED / Avid FX both use OpenGL for accelerated on-screen previews, they both rely on the CPU for all final rendering, whether that's when running as a plug-in or in standalone operation. And while the rendered results were great, the performance was less so due to the fact that they render on the CPU.

In our quest to develop a real-time 3D vector titling solution, we developed Title Studio from the ground up to run 100 percent in hardware so it will deliver the same razor sharp vector text and graphics but in a fraction of the time that it would take for the older based CPU products. Plus, because everything is happening in hardware, we are able to include hardware shaders (filters) that can be used to alter the scene - pixel shaders for blurs, color treatments, volumetric lighting effects etc and vertex shaders such as shatter, bend-taper-twist, curl etc that can be used to warp and distort elements in the scene. And it's all quite fast due to the GPU rendering.

Title Studio includes more advanced 3D options than the Boris RED / Avid FX option - it's a fully interactive 3D environment in which one can create flat surfaces that can be positioned in 3D space, such as a floor, background etc, and into which you can import 3D models in .obj and .C4D format. Yep - full 3D models in the Avid timeline. The render results for 3D model import are such that Title Studio has been shown (by an unsolicited independant reviewer) to produce the best quality 3D model render of any 3rd party plug-in.

For RED and Avid FX users, there is a cross-grade option to get Continuum (which includes Title Studio) for a heavily discounted price and with either perpetual or subscription licensing. Or, as I mentioned before, users can purchase the 3D Objects Unit (which includes Title Studio) or just the Title Studio filter on it's own. Or you can download the software for free and make a purchase when you wish to release the watermark.

There are a ton of free tutorials on our web site that can help guide you through the GUI and feature set. You can find them here : https://borisfx.com/videos/?tags=category:Continuum%20TV,feature:Title%20Studio&search=

I hope this helps!

Peter.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller