Latest post Thu, Aug 15 2019 9:09 PM by jef. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 12 2019 9:49 AM

Clarification on perpetual licence?

Hi All,

Having been with Avid since express pro days and continually updating i havce a quick question re options moving forward. 

Im currently on a perpetual licence which ends in nov 19. last year 17/18 i had the Symphony option and im just a bit confused re versions now available.

does MC ultimate include all extra options such as Symphony, script scynt etc etc? and is ultimate the only option to get Symphony now?

Finally on costs. when i go to my account and select upgrade i get 3 options. 

•    1.Media Composer Perpetual 
       £380.80 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan RENEWAL
    •    2.Media Composer | Ultimate 
       £26.18 1-Year Subscription Crossgrade, Paid Monthly
    •    3.Media Composer | Ultimate 
       £308.21 1-Year Subscription Crossgrade, Paid Upfront Now currently i believe im only on MC Perpetual and the price of £380.80 is a jump on last year to continue.  option 2 looks much better value for MC Ultimate so what gives? is there a catch after year 1 where the price jumps dramatically? @Marianna can u advise plesase? Many thanks
    SYSTEM 1:ASUS P6X58D Premium iX58 Socket 1366 Intel I7 930 2.8GHZ 1366 Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Coolermaster HAF922 Windowed... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2019 11:58 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,666
    • Points 223,900
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Clarification on perpetual licence?

Hello there

If you own a perpetual license and have the Symphpny Option, you still own it and can use it even after the november 19th expiration date.  You can use it with the last version you were eligible for before the plan expires.   

MC Ultimate is a subscription which you could crossgrade too and that would net you a rental license that if expired, you lose all together.  Al long as you keep the subscription paid, then you can use whatever versions we release moving forward.  As a subscription, you can not go backwards past MC 2018.9.

With the MC Ultimate crossgrade you get ....

-  Access to all new releases and ExpertPlus support throughout my subscription

-  Access to the Media Composer | PhraseFind Option, ScriptSync Option, Symphony Option, and NewsCutter Option throughout the subscription.

So option 1 which you wouod maintain the ownership of your license, would cost approx. 31 a month or £380.80 a year. Support and upgrades.

Option 2 would be to move your currently owned license to a subscritpion rental and cost 26.18 a month ( paid monthly ) or approx. £315.00

Option 3 would be to  move your currently owned license to a subscritpion rental and cost 26.18 a month ( paid up front for the year ) or approx. £308.21

So it depends on what you want - to own it or rent it.

HTH

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 12 2019 12:23 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,502
    • Points 42,200

Marianna,

I think you should explain a bit more about what the OP gets if they keep their perpetual license and chooses to pay the yearly upgrade.

Camx,

I have a perpetual license (dongle based - though that should not matter).  A couple of years ago I bought a Symphony upgrade. I have paid the yearly upgrade price so that I am eligible for any updates in that year.  The Symphony option carries on with all of the upgrades.

Personally ( and this is just MY opinion ) I would not convert a perpetual to the rental (Subcription) license.  Makes little business sense to me.  There really is very little, if in fact no difference in the functionality between perpetual and subscription.

As was explained when the Ultimate branding came in, if you had a regular MC license at that time, it became an Ultimate.  The difference in features really came about in the subscription area at that time.  The differences are mainly in the area of shared projects with shared storage.

Marianna, please correct my possibly faulty memory and explanation if needed.  Just felt more info on what Camx already owns was needed.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Aug 12 2019 2:02 PM In reply to

Thank You Both,

Those explinations really help thankyou.

I too see little benefit in crossgrading given at the moment I ( please correct me if im wrong) OWN what ever MC im currently using and can continue to use siad version ( albeit without support or upgrade) should i wish to stop paying in the future. 

Marianna im slightly confused re the Symphony subscription bit. I had Symphony in 17/18 as Avid offered a great deal and i thought i continued that in the 18/19 perpetual cycle but its not showing in my products or on the editor itself. If I want the Symphony option how would i go about getting that asa i dont see an option in my account to do that...

Many thanks

SYSTEM 1:ASUS P6X58D Premium iX58 Socket 1366 Intel I7 930 2.8GHZ 1366 Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Coolermaster HAF922 Windowed... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2019 2:13 PM In reply to

jef:
    The difference in features really came about in the subscription area at that time.  The differences are mainly in the area of shared projects with shared storage.

AFAIK, Ultimate via subscription includes access to Symphony, PhraseFinde, and ScriptSync. Ultimate via perpetual licensing only allows shared projects (bin locking). Those other features must be added separately.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2019 6:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,666
    • Points 223,900
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Charles

If you log in to your MyAvid and go to My products and subscriptions, you will see one of the items labelled

Media Composer | Software with Symphony 

Expand that and your Symphony Option activation ID is there.

If not - email me your MyAvid email and I will ensure it is there.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 13 2019 1:56 PM In reply to

thankyou

• Thu, Aug 15 2019 9:09 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,502
    • Points 42,200

Dom Q. Silverio:

jef:
    The difference in features really came about in the subscription area at that time.  The differences are mainly in the area of shared projects with shared storage.

AFAIK, Ultimate via subscription includes access to Symphony, PhraseFinde, and ScriptSync. Ultimate via perpetual licensing only allows shared projects (bin locking). Those other features must be added separately.

Dom,

I believe you are correct.  Thanks for filling in my gapping holes.  Big Smile

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller