Latest post Mon, Aug 12 2019 10:59 PM by J Martin. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 12 2019 5:52 AM

• J Martin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Continuous crashes in Media Composer Ultimate

After making the move to MC 2019.7 I've been attempting to work on an old project with 4K 24fps MXF footage from a Panasonic VariCam LT. Media Composer kept crashing when moving between bins in the project or when  I needed to use the source browser to connect to footage again after a crash. Since I saw some issues in P2 Viewer. I thought the work drive might be faulty. I examined footage on the backup drive and the original source drive and everything checked out. Just to be sure I copied the original footage to a new SSD drive. Then I made sure the BIOS on my workstation was properly set up and that my video card had the proper driver. No issues there. Once the footage was copied onto a newer SanDisk Extreme SSD opening the project and linking to the footage was much faster(naturally) and navigating between bins and through the timeline is faster. But the program still crashes regularly. I checked the same linking projecess for a 4K 24pfs project on a GTech Mobile SSD and it has no issues. 

The second project is much shorter (6 minute short film vs 18 minute web pilot) so it makes sense that reconnecting to footage takes longer. But I'm not sure why P2 MXF footage would be so fussy when everything else from a Varicam over the last 2 years has been smooth to work with if consolidated or linked. MC Ultimate won't remain open long enough to link the footage so it can be consolidated to the Avid MediaFiles folder; which makes the most sense to solve the issue. Not long ago I could cut and paste P2 MXF files into the Avid MediaFiles MXF directory. When I tried that to see if it would solve the problem errors popped up stating the files were not vaild in Media Composer and the only way to get out of error loops was to quarantine all the files. This only created an inaccessible source of footage.

I had to take several months of time off and was excited to jump back in with the latest version of MC. But I feel like I'm missing something simple that is causing the issue. But I've yet to figure it out. Helpful suggestions are welcome. 

HP Z640 Workstation, Dual Zeon E5-2620, PCIE SSD system drive, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M5000, 2TB work media drives x2, GTech GSpeed Shuttle, Windows 10... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2019 6:41 AM In reply to

Re: Continuous crashes in Media Composer Ultimate

Just to make sure, are you using new user settings created for 2019.x? It's a requirement, and using old settings can cause problems. If you haven't, try creating a new user setting and see if the problem persists. If nothing else, it will eliminate user settings as a possible cause of the problem.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Aug 12 2019 12:08 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,607
    • Points 223,200
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

And once you try to use the new settings, if the problem persist, please email me this thread URL and your System ID and I will get a tech to assist.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 12 2019 10:59 PM In reply to

• J Martin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

With old settings deleted and new ones created the the project opens and loads very snappy this time. Files remain connected. But getting to a bin to consolidate the files is slightly worse now. No bins will open without crashing the entire program. Email Sent. 

Thank you.

HP Z640 Workstation, Dual Zeon E5-2620, PCIE SSD system drive, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M5000, 2TB work media drives x2, GTech GSpeed Shuttle, Windows 10... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller