Latest post Sat, Aug 10 2019 4:08 PM by David Yardley. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 10 2019 3:44 AM

How to build a precise monochrome image from an advanced black and white color mix?

Hello everyone!

I am currently using the latest version of Media Composer (cloud subscription) and was wondering if there was any way to get a black and white image from a color video, by deciding of the precise color mix that goes into it.

This is a feature that I have in Lightroom for example, with the black and white mix sliders, where you can decide how bright or dark each color would appear in the final black and white mix.

For example I might want the blues to come out very black to get dramatic skies or the greens to come out quite white for an infrared film effect.

Using Magic Bullet Looks or the Media Composer Color Correction tool, it seems like all I can do is desaturate all the colors, which does not give me any control as to how my final black and white image is composed.

I sort of DO have some control as to the RGB components of my desaturation tool in Magic Bullet Looks, but this is a long shot from having all my black and white mix color sliders from Lightroom. (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Aqua, Blue, Purple Magenta).

Any idea how I could do that? Any plugins? Avid FX maybe?

I guess I could try to do it in resolve (never used the software before), but it seems overkill and quite the learning curve for the task at hand.

Thank you for any pointers you might give me!

• Sat, Aug 10 2019 12:03 PM In reply to

Re: How to build a precise monochrome image from an advanced black and white color mix?

I think it maybe a Symphony only option. But Symphony has a channel mix function that does exactly that.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Aug 10 2019 4:08 PM In reply to

Re: How to build a precise monochrome image from an advanced black and white color mix?

Try stacking two corrections, the first to alter the levels of RGB channels, the second to monochrome the image. You will need to add make-up gain in the second monochrome CC to make up for the reductions you introduce in the first.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller