Latest post Fri, Aug 9 2019 5:56 AM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 6 2019 10:06 AM

• anthonyleemartin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 19 2010
    • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Media Composer 8.4.3 and Blackmagic Decklink to Sony Bravia

Hi, i'm currently trying to get monitor playout to a Sony Bravia (model#KLV-40EX430) via a DeckLink Mini Monitor from Blackmagic Designs on Avid Media Composer 8.4.3, using HDMI.

All I get is a black screen and at every now and again a flash of the image on the timeline, but that's about as lucky as i'dve got.

I've checked the output resolutions on the Desktop Video Setup software to match those compatible with the Sony and that doesn't seem to help. I've tried No conversion and a conversion from HD to SD and that still does nothing.

Am i using the wrong hardware? or can this be redeemed? Should I have purchased an Intensity?!?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanking you in advance..

/A.

ps: i'll try anything at this stage!

Windows 10 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 32.00 GB (RAM) 64-bit Operating System DELL Monitor UP2716D... [view my complete system specs]

Anthony Lee Martin

Off-Line Editor

DELIVERANCE Post Production

www.deliverance.co.za

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 7:56 PM In reply to

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

Re: Media Composer 8.4.3 and Blackmagic Decklink to Sony Bravia

Hello Anthony,

One test to do is:  Use the BlackMagis software (Desktop Video and BlackMagic Media Express) to run some video and audio (most HD files would playback in the Media Express software) and see if that plays back normally on your HD Bravia.  If it does not play normally using the BlackMagic software, then the problem might be associated with Windows version and/or driver.... etc.  This might be a computer OS or driver issue, without being associated with Avid.

What version of the BlackMagic "Desktop Video" software are you using ?  I'm running 11.0 on my system (Media Composer 2018.12 on a HP z820 with Decklink Studio 4k) Note this is NOT the latest version.   If the (previously mentionned test) did not solve your problem, you might want to un-install whatever you currenlty have and try version 10.11.4.  That version is dated fall of 2018 and might be of the same "vintage" as the version of MC you are running.

Bonne chance and please post your solution to let us all know the answer.

Michel

MC 8.8.6 on a Z820 Win7/64 48Gb RAM, Black Magic design Decklink Studio 4k... C drive is a Crucial SSD, Internal 6Tb esata (striped 2x3Tb), HP Thunderbolt2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 8 2019 12:39 PM In reply to

• anthonyleemartin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 19 2010
    • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Hi Michel,

THANK YOU!

okay, I have finally made some headway... I have attempteda a couple off versions and after reading your recommendation am now currently trying out 10.11.4 and have managed to get playback within Media Express to the bravia monitor through the Blackmagic software at 720p50 and 1080i.

When i switch to Media Composer I can get an image on the monitor when enabeling the "HW/SW Hardware active" button but, playback is seriously hindered. I've checked my PC performance settings and they are all set to prioritize performance over appearance..

I've tried on 720p25 (I just get a black screen with that) I can't access 720p50 on my current available projects - i will try others as soon as i can get access to them (I think this would be my solution for best picture with my bravia) and then 1080i (which doesn't look great at all - obviously interlaced - BUT it does give me a picture.)

I know i'm getting closerr to a viable solution with your help but, once again if you or any one else have any sugestions, i'm all ears.

thank you for the assistance thus far.

/A.

Windows 10 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 32.00 GB (RAM) 64-bit Operating System DELL Monitor UP2716D... [view my complete system specs]

Anthony Lee Martin

Off-Line Editor

DELIVERANCE Post Production

www.deliverance.co.za

• Fri, Aug 9 2019 4:26 AM In reply to

How old is the Sony Bravia?   Some early 40 inch Bravia's did not have the ability to display 25 (or 50)P formats  Later ones could display 25 P formats or had firware updates that enabled it.  I still have an original top end Bravia 40 that will not display SD PAL P formats or 1080 25P format. 

That decade+ old Bravia does give me an onscreen message saying the incoming format cannot be played so this may not be your issue.  Good Luck.

Alayne

• Fri, Aug 9 2019 5:56 AM In reply to

Alayne Holmes:

How old is the Sony Bravia?   Some early 40 inch Bravia's did not have the ability to display 25 (or 50)P formats  Later ones could display 25 P formats or had firware updates that enabled it.  I still have an original top end Bravia 40 that will not display SD PAL P formats or 1080 25P format. 

That decade+ old Bravia does give me an onscreen message saying the incoming format cannot be played so this may not be your issue.  Good Luck.

Alayne

What Alayne says. And try flipping the BMD's output format to PsF in stead of P.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller