Latest post Mon, Aug 5 2019 1:55 AM by DStone. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 4 2019 12:12 AM

Canon XF705 Support

Hello,

Does Media Composer 2019 support Canon XF705 camcorder using the XF-HEVC format?

Thank you,

Asaf

• Sun, Aug 4 2019 4:16 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,652
    • Points 46,860
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Canon XF705 Support

HEVC is not a native format for Media Composer. You will require a plug-in to process HEVC media. The only one I'm currently aware of is MediaReactor Lite from drastic.tv. Otherwise you need to transcode to a different fromat from ourside Media Composer. There  is free software (ffmpeg) for doing this, but it takes time and space to transcode each piece of media.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Aug 4 2019 7:58 PM In reply to

• pjo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 24 2013
    • Posts 18
    • Points 190

The Canon XF Plugin 3.4.1 for Avid Media Access [macOS] was released in early July and after installing, Ive been using AVID Media Composer to AMA link to the HEVC .265 UHD files from the XF705 and transcoding them to DNxHR HQX successfully. Im not a tech analyst, but everything finally looks good to me. Im just starting to use the camera, but the combination of the color and the above average lens, makes this camcorder a step above the others.

• Mon, Aug 5 2019 1:51 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,652
    • Points 46,860

Interesting. The Canon website does say it supports Canon XF format for Media Composer. It doesn't say anything about HEVC. But if the media is in XF format, it should work for you.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Aug 5 2019 1:55 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,652
    • Points 46,860

OK, so now the question of the moment: is Canon XF really just HEVC in a canon specific wrapper, or is it really HEVC in the standard wrapper?

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller