Latest post Sat, Aug 3 2019 8:46 AM by BenoitM. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 31 2019 12:29 PM

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,218
    • Points 14,605

how do you blank your screens (Windows 10) ?

I just wonder if and how you guys are turning off your powerful (and power-hungry) displays when you launch some long MC or other job on your Windows 10 system ?

On most modern PCs w/ Win10, sleep has been phased out and now even just manual (NirCMD) or timed (Power Settings) screen blanking puts the system in 'Modern Standby' which causes traditional apps to be suspended (incl. MC Background transcodes etc.).

Apparently, no workaround, except setting the Screen OFF timer to never and manually switching off the display when going out for a walk and your system does some heavy computing.

Other ideas ?

MC 2018.12.5 (Symphony option)/BCC2019 12.0.4/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.2); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 31 2019 5:07 PM In reply to

Re: how do you blank your screens (Windows 10) ?

Is this a choice by the system admin? A custom config?

I have not checked the latest build of W10 but our systems still have the option to put the display to sleep.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 1 2019 12:30 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,653
    • Points 46,865
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I just set my display to turn off after 1 minute (not sleep, just turn off). I started running a process to see if it would stall. After the screen turned off, I waited a few minutes, and looked at the state of the process. It ran while the screens were off.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Aug 2 2019 9:51 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,218
    • Points 14,605

Hmmm, I need to dig further as on my system, there is definitely a Windows System Log event saying

"The system is entering connected standby
    Reason: Idle Timeout."

at an unexpected time when background services were transcoding stuff.

but Sleep timer is set to Never, so only display off could cause this....

Will check further on MSFT forums...

MC 2018.12.5 (Symphony option)/BCC2019 12.0.4/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.2); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 3 2019 2:50 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,653
    • Points 46,865

That message merely indicates that it's going into the specified power saving mode. It's not going to sleep. It's turning off the screen but the rest of the system is still running (Modern Standby). The background tasks should continue to run. I'll dig a bit more into this myself and see if I can reproduce it.

In general MS applications downloaded from the store will pause when in standby, as will most desktop applications. Background tasks should continue to run. Windows may be throttling down 3rd party background tasks after the final phase of entering Modern Standby. But the processes should still continue to run.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Aug 3 2019 3:47 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,653
    • Points 46,865

So I'm running a transcode in the background. The screens have turned off, but the background transcode is running (the light for the media disk is blinking as it normally does for a transcode).

Out of curiosity, is the option to pause background transcoding turned on? If it is, try turning it off and seeing what happens. Just a thought.

Dave S.

• Sat, Aug 3 2019 4:04 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,653
    • Points 46,865

And the transcode completed while in standby.

Dave S.

• Sat, Aug 3 2019 8:46 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,218
    • Points 14,605

Thanks for the time taken testing this. I certainly need to narrow it down myself.

I reckon it's a bizarre thing, I can't seem to repro at will myself, but there is defintely a change in behaviour compared to Win7; I get these unexpected paused processes when the system goes to standby also with apps like TMPGEnc, etc.

From what I uderstand with Modern Standby it's that all traditional Windows apps are suspended, and that only Store apps are allowed to run and do things like download email, download things etc. if the system allows ('connected standby')

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller