Latest post Tue, Jan 14 2020 8:19 PM by Daniel Meadows. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 14 2019 1:45 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,721
    • Points 47,700
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Media Compposer 2019.6 Workspaces always reset themselves

Daniel, you've got a couple of short replies without quoting what you're replying about. It makes it difficult to know what you're saying Yes abouut.

For grins, I created a new user and then completely modified the default workspaces. All of them have been stable. Telegram did ask the question that I'm going to re-ask: did you use Save Current for each of the selected workspaces after you modified them? You must do this for each workspace individually, otherwise when you switch workspaces it resets back to the last know state. So the procedure is modified the workspace, use Save Current, and then move onto the next workspace.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 3:39 PM In reply to

Dave S.  Thanks for your response.  Yes I have saved current on all the modified workspaces.  These reset anyway back to the origianal factory workspace for each, infrequently (every few days to a week) at seemingly random events.  I have "parked" my workspaces in site settings which seems a good backup plan in case this happens again.

HP Z840 Windows 10 Pro Dual E5-2690v4 2.6Ghz 14-core NVIDIA P6000 24 GB 64 GB RAM BCC 2019/Sapphire 2019/Mocha Pro/Titler Pro 6 BMD Studio 4K G Technology... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Meadows

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 4:03 PM In reply to

DStone:

Daniel, you've got a couple of short replies without quoting what you're replying about. It makes it difficult to know what you're saying Yes abouut.

For grins, I created a new user and then completely modified the default workspaces. All of them have been stable. Telegram did ask the question that I'm going to re-ask: did you use Save Current for each of the selected workspaces after you modified them? You must do this for each workspace individually, otherwise when you switch workspaces it resets back to the last know state. So the procedure is modified the workspace, use Save Current, and then move onto the next workspace.

I’ve found that even though I understand the importance of “Save Current”, it’s been all too easy with a sloppy mouse click on the wrong spot to instantly lose whatever customizations I was in the process of trying out.

Consider what happens when you click on the Restore Current to Default option- you get a chance to re-consider thanks to a pop-up confirmation box.

Can I suggest for MC that the  “Save Current” concept might be better understood if  before completing a change to a different Workspace, getting prompted with a similar “Are you Sure” Pop-up designed to prevent loss of customizations might make the new UI more user-friendly?  

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 15 2019 10:36 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,732
    • Points 61,760

It would be useful to be informed before leaving a workspace that you have made changes, however, I often rearrange windows temporarily knowing that my changes will be lost when I switch and I would not want the application notifying me (in other words, I like your suggestion but I would need to be able to disable it for my use case - the dialog could have a 'don't notify me again' option, for example).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.12 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020 | Sapphire 2020 | Mocha Pro 2020 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 11:21 AM In reply to

BarkinMadd:

It would be useful to be informed before leaving a workspace that you have made changes, however, I often rearrange windows temporarily knowing that my changes will be lost when I switch and I would not want the application notifying me (in other words, I like your suggestion but I would need to be able to disable it for my use case - the dialog could have a 'don't notify me again' option, for example).

If we think about what happens to our Tineline Views, the UI has always provided a clue or reminder that changes were made by italicizing the modified setting. Perhaps that’s enough- just a visual reminder on the active workspace’s icon that one could “Save Current”, if they wanted to. I suspect the new UI has given some users their first serious look at using Workspaces - perhaps those folks would benefit from a default setting that automatically performed a “Save Current” upon Workspace switches? Or they could turn it back to how it works now.

In general, we know simple is best... I wonder though: does a new MC user understand right away what causes their loss of un-saved changes?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 17 2019 5:38 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,485

I too have noticed Workspaces not remembering my "Save Current" configurations. It's random and without warning. This has mostly been annoying me in the "Effects" setting the past few days. It completely doesn't remember my saved window positions, what's docked, what's not... at all. Fortunately I'm getting good at docking things and quickly resizing the workspace layouts, But still, it kinda defeats the purpose of saving a specific layout.

Also, now that I am used to -- and really like -- the docked panels, I wish we could turn off floating panels altogether. That seems to be half my issue with the saved configuration not working correctly. One minute I save something as docked, and next minute it opens as a floating panel.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 17 2019 6:58 AM In reply to

wkumingo:
    One minute I save something as docked, and next minute it opens as a floating panel.

i hope you get it sorted out. The only thing I can offer is to ask if you created a brand new “start from scratch” User at the outset? 

I generally have not used my Effects workspace, btw. These other questions are just my own curiosities, but they may be useful to you:

is your system 1 or 2 or more monitors? When you “Save Current” are you doing it from the Sidebar > Effects or are you using the MC Windows Menu > or have you mapped “Save Current” to an icon or keypress?

If you Duplicate your default Workspace(s) and use those, does your issue persist?

Do you notice this happening only on previously originated (pre-v2019.6) Projects or only with new Projects created with v2019.6? Or both?

Did you happen to Save a custom Bin Layout (Which I *think* is optional) and if so, did you run a “Save Current” on that Bin Layout before doing your “Save Current” on the  Effects workspace?

I don’t know if any of those questions or conditions matter at all, except for the new User Setting, which I believe is highly recommended.

Good luck and if you continue to notice that your “Save Current” doesn’t work as expected I hope you receive great MC support.

• Wed, Jul 17 2019 7:18 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,485

Telegram!:
    The only thing I can offer is to ask if you created a brand new “start from scratch” User at the outset? 

Yes.

Telegram!:
    is your system 1 or 2 or more monitors?

1 monitor

Telegram!:
    When you “Save Current” are you doing it from the Sidebar > Effects or are you using the MC Windows Menu > or have you mapped “Save Current” to an icon or keypress?

Why should this matter? (Unless you're the programmer and trying to track down a bug?)

Telegram!:

If you Duplicate your default Workspace(s) and use those, does your issue persist?

Do you notice this happening only on previously originated (pre-v2019.6) Projects or only with new Projects created with v2019.6? Or both?

Why should this matter? (Unless you're the programmer and trying to track down a bug?)

Telegram!:
    Did you happen to Save a custom Bin Layout (Which I *think* is optional) and if so, did you run a “Save Current” on that Bin Layout before doing your “Save Current” on the  Effects workspace?

No.

Telegram!:
    I don’t know if any of those questions or conditions matter at all, except for the new User Setting, which I believe is highly recommended.

Already covered that.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 17 2019 7:40 AM In reply to

Thanks for your replies. I’m not a programmer, but I enthusiastically look for workarounds, help myself, and try to understand things completely, if I can. For example: I wonder- what is the distinction between saving a custom Bin Layout vs. a workspace? I should know this but I can’t say I do. 

How would it matter if I were running different projects with different bins into a custom workspace? These are questions I ask myself, trying to learn this new, very capable, and complete software.

• Tue, Jan 14 2020 8:19 PM In reply to

To update this: I've noticed, every new version of Avid resets all my workspaces.  This is really AWESOME, since I've been happily using workspaces for over a decade without any issues until 2019's fanciness made me change the way I do this...and then have to redo it it for EVERY VERSION.  AVID, any chance you can figure this one out?

HP Z840 Windows 10 Pro Dual E5-2690v4 2.6Ghz 14-core NVIDIA P6000 24 GB 64 GB RAM BCC 2019/Sapphire 2019/Mocha Pro/Titler Pro 6 BMD Studio 4K G Technology... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Meadows

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller