Latest post Sun, Sep 10 2006 3:17 PM by BarkinMadd. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 26 2006 9:20 PM

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

Rebuilding the Effects Cache - A Step by Step Procedure

*** Tested using Liquid 7.1 SP1 (your milage may vary with other versions) ***

If you've been playing with effects and in particular with Harold's new Vdub bridge plugin, and you've had the misfortune of your effects cache becoming stale (missing commontion filters, magic bullet, etc.) then this might help (and is much faster than a complete reinstall):

I've just been through this rebuilding the cached effects with Harold's plugin. Here are the steps:

Before starting this procedure, prepare Liquid by creating a new empty sequence, turning off render yellow slices and finally clear the source viewer by right-clicking on the source view drop-list and selecting clear-all. These steps are in an attempt to prevent Liquid from doing any rendering during the cache rebuild. After this preparation, continue as follows:

1. Exit Liquid.
    2. Go into the RTFx/VirtualDub folder you created for using Harold's VDub bridge and remove ALL .XML files.

*** WARNING *** Only delete XML files in Harold's VirtualDub folder. DO NOT DELETE ANY OTHER XML FILES IN THE RTFx folder!!!

3. Go to the RTFx folder and remove the two cache files: EditorCache (plus some numbers) and EffectsCache (plus some numbers).
    4. Go up one level and rename RTFx folder to RTFx_RENAMED or something like that.
    5. Start Liquid (should startup pretty fast as it is looking for the RTFx folder and can't find it so it just installs what it can).
    6. Exit Liquid.
    7. Rename RTFx_RENAMED back to RTFx
    8. Launch Liquid.
    9. When it gets to the 40% mark, it holds there for quite a long time (go for a coffee). On my machine it must have taken 15 to 20 minutes.
    10. Once Liquid finishes check the effects folders - you should have all your effects editors back, including the Vdub effects you had in your 'RTFx/VirtualDub' folder.

I just completed this exact process and successfully removed the neat demo VirtualDub plugin and added the Cartoonizer plugin - and I still have my Commotion filters, Magic Bullet and Boris - I know this has been beaten like the proverbial dead horse but I thought a step-by-step might help someone (if not me the next time I forget these steps).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.9.3 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 10.0.6 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Aug 30 2006 10:44 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

Re: Rebuilding the Effects Cache - A Step by Step Procedure

I've just discovered a caveat to this procedure - you must have a blank timeline when Liquid boots-up in the steps outlined herein.

Last night I used this procedure to cleanup some issues I was having and it didn't work!!! I finally noticed that my timeline was actively rendering (classic 2D effect) -> when Liquid launched and this seemed to prevent Liquid from rebuilding its effects cache. Creating a new, blank sequence seemed to solve the problem and all is well in the universe, once again (not really, but you take what you can get Stick out tongue [:P]).

I've updated my 'step 1' to include creating a blank sequence before exiting Liquid.

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.9.3 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 10.0.6 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Sep 2 2006 5:36 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Steve,

I decided to try this after installing some of the VirtualDub effects, then later finding some things missing.  Because I was having trouble with HFX, I also deleted the HFX xml files in the HfxXML folder.  Whether only deleting the files you mentioned would have brought back HFX, I don't know.  I opted to go that little bit further in hopes that it would ensure success in my case.  It worked.

The render engine was running on the blank sequence for no apparent reason when I restarted Liquid that first time after deleting the xml files.  I stopped rendering, turned off yellow slice rendering, then restarted the engine.  Even though nothing was on the timeline, rendering started again.  I let it complete before shutting down Liquid in the middle of that procedure.

Thanks for putting that procedure together.  It will help again sometime, I'm sure.
    Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sat, Sep 2 2006 2:34 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

You're welcome, Scott. Something else that comes to mind when you mentioned the render engine was going for no apparent reason - The render engine may also be rendering your source view if the clip in the source view does not match your timeline settings so I'm guessing that emptying the source view might also be a good idea.

You can empty the source view by right-clicking on the source view drop-list and selecting 'Clear All'. I'll add this to the procedure along with turning off yellow slice rendering.

Cheers

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Sep 2 2006 4:25 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475

Steve,

I don't think anything was in the source viewer.  The point I was making was that maybe allowing the render to finish was the key.  I wondered if that had something to do with the cache.  I tried to ensure the render engine would not run by turning off yellow slice render but when I put the render engine back to what I thought would be idle status, it started up again.  So, I allowed it to finish.  That took about 2 minutes.  Then I restarted Liquid.

I can't say that turning off yellow slice rendering did any more good than allowing the render engine to finish whatever it was doing.
    Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sat, Sep 2 2006 9:00 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

What do you suppose was rendering, then? Odd but glad it worked for you!!!

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Sep 2 2006 10:19 PM In reply to

• Joe Figura
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • New Hampshire
    • Posts 633
    • Points 8,570

Steve - Thanks for the procedure. I hope you don't mind but I added it to the Knowledgebase at Planet Liquid.
    Liquid ChromeHD HP XW8000 19"... [view my complete system specs]
    Keeping the Planet Spinning, --Joe www.planetdvonline.com Avid Liquid Signature Elite Dealer 866.585.3309 "Video for Everyone!" www.planetliquid.us Avid Liquid User Community
  • Sun, Sep 3 2006 12:49 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475

Steve,

I don't know what had the render engine going.  I would have been more surprised at it but your post mentioned it happened to you.  That's when I wondered if it had something to do with deleting the cache files and the xml files.  At that point, I figured it would be best to let it complete what it was doing before shutting Liquid down.

Scott

• Sun, Sep 3 2006 3:21 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

Jfigura:
    Steve - Thanks for the procedure. I hope you don't mind but I added it to the Knowledgebase at Planet Liquid.

I don't mind at all. Glad to see it get into a knowledge base so that others may locate it more easily.

Cheers

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Sep 3 2006 5:56 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 871
    • Points 11,210

I had some problems with VirtualDub effects and downloaded the latest version of Deshaker. I have then tried the described procedure to get a fresh effects- and transition installation. I created an empty timeline and cleared the preview window.

After the procedure liquid had none of the re-created VDub-FX's and all Hollywood transitions disappeared. 

By the end I installed SP1 on top of the existing system and got all FX's including Hollywood nad Vdub-FX's.

Joachim 

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Mon, Sep 4 2006 2:48 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

I have used this procedure several times (as have others) and it has worked flawlessly. Perhaps you missed a step or more likely, there is something about your setup that breaks this procedure. Glad reinstalling SP1 fixed it for you.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 12:41 PM In reply to

• HLinke
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 85
    • Points 1,220

Scott,

I think there is an importnat error you did:

Do not delete any other xml-file than the xml-files in the virtualdub-folder.

The vdub2rtfx-plugin is recreating the xml-files automatically when they are missing.

ALL other XML-files belong to Liquid and are essential for the function of the effects. If you delete any of these files and especially the hfx.xml files these effects will NOT work anymore. Liquid is not recreating these XML-files automatically. You have to reinstall Liquid to get them back !!!

So, please do not extend this procedure to other plugins. It only works for the virtualdub-filters !!!!

Steve, I think you should add this remark to your procedure.

Harold

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 2:24 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,475

Harold,

I appreciate the feedback but what I did worked.  I got back the VirtualDub effects and the HFX effects all at one time.  That's why I did what I did.  I wanted to ensure I'd get everything back in one cache rebuild.  As I said earlier, I might not have needed to delete the HFX xml files but it didn't hurt anything for me.  They were recreated when the cache rebuild occurred.

I've tried several of the HFX transitions and FX for which I had deleted the xml files and they're working.  I can't tell anything is missing.

Scott

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 3:17 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

HLinke:

Steve, I think you should add this remark to your procedure.

Agreed - done.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller