Latest post Fri, May 17 2019 3:55 AM by luca.mg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 13 2019 1:14 PM

• recess
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 29
    • Points 365

Slow 'pick-up' after each edit made

Hi. After each edit I make on the timeline, the machine 'hangs' for around a second and a half - blue circle - before I can hit play or do anything else. Usual stuff of turning off all clip colours other than source, (inc offline colour), turning off dynamic relink, switching playlength to 1 and closing all bins with sequences so only one bin, one sequence is active. 

Nothing helps. 

However. I've just spotted in the console that it keeps brining up: 

BuildPipes Concurrency Alert - BuildPipes starting with BuildPipes in progress!

So, I entered showbptime into the console to see what was going on - and it seems that the culprit is:

RTPlayerGraph Pipes took 1543 milliseconds to build

Awesome. 

Now.. what the hell is it, and how do I speed it up??

I hope someone can help...

John

(it's a z820 workstation with 32Gb ram, running 2018.5)

I work in someone else's nest, so it's always different. [view my complete system specs]

Success is merely a failure to imagine more...

• Tue, May 14 2019 2:50 PM In reply to

• recess
    • Not Ranked
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 29
    • Points 365

Re: Slow 'pick-up' after each edit made

Suggestions have been made (elsewhere) that this a combination of a complex sequence (60 minutes, 3 Video tracks, 11 audio tracks (of which four are stereo) and also that there are some mixed codecs on there (DNX AVC100 and 3 Pro-Res clips). 

All very nice knowing that, but surely there's a way to speed this up? I'm now nudging the 2000 milliseconds mark and although sub-sequencing down sections that I'm working on is a good workaround - eventually I need to work on the full hour on the timeline. 

Any tips? 

I work in someone else's nest, so it's always different. [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, May 14 2019 5:44 PM In reply to

Open the command palette (ctrl-3) and either click or map the Playlength button (a square with PL in it). 

This command prevents MC from contantly buffering your entire timeline for playback.

By default, Playlength is set to 1, giving you one minute of forward playback and one minute of reverse playback. After that, playback will stop, and you will have to hit stop and play again to continue.

If you want more than one minute (I usually do), you can open the console (ctrl-6) and type “PlayLength 4” (or any other number than 4) and this will change the buffer from one minute in either direction to four minutes (or whatever number of minutes you typed in).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 15 2019 10:31 AM In reply to

• recess
    • Not Ranked
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 29
    • Points 365

Job ter Burg:

Open the command palette (ctrl-3) and either click or map the Playlength button (a square with PL in it). 

Thanks Job, but as I said in the original post, I'd already tried Playlength. I didn't want to ignore your request though, so did try once more.

RTPlayerGraph Pipes took 1666 milliseconds to build

Gah. 

• Wed, May 15 2019 2:45 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,455

recess:
    a complex sequence (60 minutes, 3 Video tracks, 11 audio tracks (of which four are stereo) and also that there are some mixed codecs on there (DNX AVC100 and 3 Pro-Res clips)

Doesn't look particularly complex. Is the footage linked?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, May 16 2019 11:47 AM In reply to

• recess
    • Not Ranked
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 29
    • Points 365

https://ibb.co/BfnRB8p

It's not that complex, no. 

Anything that had been linked has been transcoded to DNX. So no. There are a few AVC clips, and a few Pro-res, but even when I drill the sequence down to 12 minutes, it's just 1/5th of the milliseconds. So it seems to be related literally to the length of the sequence rather than a culprit on the timeline. 

John

• Thu, May 16 2019 12:05 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,455

12 min should work flawlessly! Please more info about video resolution, storage, video card and driver.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, May 16 2019 1:33 PM In reply to

• recess
    • Not Ranked
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 29
    • Points 365

Resolutions are:

80% DNX185x

10% DNX36

Then the rest is made up of AVC (high and Intra) / XAVC / XDCAM 50 (only two clips) / Pro Res (2 clips) 

Storage is a Nexis, no idea what - but it's big n fast.

Video card is Quadro K4000 running driver 23.21.13.9077

I've tried fresh user settings, no difference. I've trashed MC State etc, no difference. I've tried reducing Video Quality - I've tried disconnecting the hardware - I've tried closing all windows other than project, bin, timeline and even switched to single monitor view. No difference.

Flattening sequence down to one video track remove about 100ms. But I don't think that matters much. 

Single video track (no audio) takes around 500ms 

All audio tracks take around 1000ms (interesting)

All mono tracks  - which contain all of the sync - are 845ms so I can only assume that this is the biggest culprit. 

But even at that, 500ms for the video and 845 for the audio is a bit weighty isn't it? 

John

• Fri, May 17 2019 3:55 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,455

Has this workstation worked properly before? If yes, what changed? How do perform the other workstations connected to the Nexis? Would You test the same timeline from another seat? Is the nVidia driver the recommended one for the running MC version? Are the expansion cards sitting in the right slots as per the Avid configuration guidelines?

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller