Latest post Wed, Apr 24 2019 4:53 PM by DIESELE. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 23 2019 6:59 PM

FrameFlex causes performance issues

I want to share with everybody something that I just discovered. Call it a bug or call it a feature that doesn't perform as expected. Basically, in a short sequence where a lot of the clips have FrameFlex applied to them, Media Composer takes a serious performance hit. I have a 9-minute sequence in an HD 1080p project where the footage is pretty evenly split between DNx36 and NTSC 3:1 media. Almost all of the clips have FrameFlex applied to them and there is a major lag/delay that I experience when I edit clips into the timeline--that is, until you render the timeline. 

I started experiencing this lag, and it was happening on other workstations as well, Mac and PC. So, I knew it wasn't the computer and it wasn't the storage (I sent the sequence off to somebody else who had another copy of the media and he experienced the same lag on an older version of Avid). I'm running 2018.12.3. He is running 8.9.5. 

I narrowed down that it was FrameFlex causing the problem by first, creating a new sequence and cutting in footage. No lag initially. Then I started cutting in pieces of footage from my original sequence. I kept doing this until I had built out a test sequence that was longer than my original one. This sequence also had some Boris and Sapphire plugins in it. I ruled that out as a culprit as well. The lag/delay became particularly bad when the sequence got longer. 

After rendering the entire sequence and the green "realtime" dots on the FrameFlex clips went away, everything behaved normally. 

So, my recommendation to everyone is, if you can help it, AMA/Link to your footage, apply FrameFlex to them, then transcode the clips, baking in the formatting on transcode so that you don't run into these performance problems. 

I hope this is helpful to you all. 

Lenovo P710 Windows 10 Pro Dual Xeon E5-2643 v4 3.4GHz (6-core) 64 GB RAM NVIDIA M4000 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:04 PM In reply to

Re: FrameFlex causes performance issues

Its worth noting that Frameflex, Source colour adapters and others are all realtime effects so yes there will be a perfomance hit if they are unrendered.

If you need realtime playback then experimenting with the media cache is a good start (if you have plenty of RAM)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Apr 24 2019 1:08 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,429
    • Points 41,350

Damien LeVeck:

So, my recommendation to everyone is, if you can help it, AMA/Link to your footage, apply FrameFlex to them, then transcode the clips, baking in the formatting on transcode so that you don't run into these performance problems. 

Burning in the Frameflex setting works for some, but ultimately defeats the purpose of greater than final raster size source clips.

Really, Avid's media processing is not as effecient as some other systems.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Apr 24 2019 4:53 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Cymru/Wales
    • Posts 1,096
    • Points 13,465

I use Frameflex daily and cant say I have hit any unexpected performance hit - sure things move a little more slowly on UHD media at 300Mbps v HD at 100Mbps, but its perfectly workable.  Can just about play a colour corrected Frameflexed UHD clip in real time...  And a caption on top too on a good day!  I work in 1920x1080 25P on 25P UHD sources.

Symphony 2018.12.3, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 11.1 (unsatisfactory in full res UHD though for client monitor), WIN 10 on 2500Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K2000 (rolled back 388.16 driver to see if matches old but adequate card better), Asus X99 Mobo, 4.0 GHz Hex core mildly overclocked CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10 @ 450Mbs

VIDEO MEDIA PRODUCTION COMPANY AND FACILITIES CARDIFF, LONDON, BRISTOL, WALES, CRACKING PRODUCTIONS

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller