Latest post Sun, Apr 14 2019 9:59 PM by jcmcnamee. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 14 2019 4:49 PM

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 231
    • Points 2,455

Anyone use the Pro Tools Control app?

Anyone out there use the Pro tools control app on iPad as an additional avid controller? Wonder if any editors have found it useful. I have an old iPad mini sitting in a closet and will be checking it out myself this week. It doesn’t seem like you can map all MC menu commands to soft keys on it, though, which is what I’d want to do.

I’d love to see more suppport for stuff like this in the future. I also wish keyboard settings could be saved separate from user settings.

Media Composer 2018.12.3 / OS 10.14.3 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 14 2019 4:57 PM In reply to

Re: Anyone use the Pro Tools Control app?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJjHrM_Tyz8

I know I've said this before, but touch screen controls, for me, defeat the purpose of any outboard controlling for editing/mixing for picture, simply because it requires you to look at where you place your fingers, and where to move them, whereas an outboard editing/mixing controller with real buttons gives you tactile feedback, so you can keep watching the show, rather than your own hands.

Just my 2 cts.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 14 2019 9:59 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 231
    • Points 2,455

Re: Anyone use the Pro Tools Control app?

Yes I agree...I don't want to use this for mixing. Preferably I'd like to be able to touch tracks on the ipad for ganging/grouping, quick muting or unmuting, and have a bunch of softkeys for MC shortcuts that are too many to remember in my keyboard settings :)

Unfortunately the gang/group button isn't available in PTC. The softkeys may be nice to use, though. I'll probably try for a bit because why not.

All of this has also made me revisit my old standard keyboard layout, though. I've cleared 1 through 0 out to assign those to arming audio tracks 1-10 and then shift for 11-20 (something I find to be very tedious in the mixer...in fact I find any clicking in the mixer to be tedious so most of these softkeys will be mixer related). If only we could access the mixer's burger menu in keyboard shortcuts!!!!

Lemur looks interesting...that guy in the video is very annoying, though! He seems like he should just be doing unboxing videos.

Media Composer 2018.12.3 / OS 10.14.3 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller