Latest post Wed, Apr 10 2019 7:00 PM by luca.mg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 9 2019 8:00 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,475

Audio export advice needed

I'm doing a rpocess that I haven't tried before and I need some advice...

I have recently digitized 50+ U-Matic tapes in Avid MC (8.5.3) The resulting clips/sub-clips are now sorted in bins - a separate bin for each reel.

I want to create a uncompressed H264 export so that others can use and view these clips. I do this by laying all the clips in a bin (one bin at a time) to it's own timeline, from which I export it as needed, giving me one export file corresponding to each digitized archive reel.

Most clips have only A2 audio, though some have A1 as well - these are not stereo recordings, but simply clips of footage on which there were one or two microphones, the audio of which I want to keep separate when exporting.

To do this I created a timeline sequence and laid the clips, so that those with A1 had their audio on A1 and those with audio on A2 had that on A2. Then I opened the audio mixer and using the LIVE mode panned A1 to left and A2 to right. This gave the correct result on my control room monitors and mixer output from Avid, when playing the timeline.

But when I export this sequence to file, I ned up with what sounds like a mix of both A1 and A2 on both the resulting tracks.

Question - Why does Avid export  sequence differently to how it is set up to play on the timeline?

Question - How can I achieve the desired result - a two track mono export, where the audio from timeline track A1 goes to Left and that from A2 goes to Right?

Question - can this at all be accomplished without panning each individual clip on the timeline separately to Left or right? There are hundreds of clips and this would be a very tiresome process?

Any advice out there?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Tue, Apr 9 2019 8:41 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,148
    • Points 13,005

Re: Audio export advice needed

Adrian Redmond:

I'm doing a rpocess that I haven't tried before and I need some advice...

I have recently digitized 50+ U-Matic tapes in Avid MC (8.5.3) The resulting clips/sub-clips are now sorted in bins - a separate bin for each reel.

I want to create a uncompressed H264 export so that others can use and view these clips. I do this by laying all the clips in a bin (one bin at a time) to it's own timeline, from which I export it as needed, giving me one export file corresponding to each digitized archive reel.

Most clips have only A2 audio, though some have A1 as well - these are not stereo recordings, but simply clips of footage on which there were one or two microphones, the audio of which I want to keep separate when exporting.

To do this I created a timeline sequence and laid the clips, so that those with A1 had their audio on A1 and those with audio on A2 had that on A2. Then I opened the audio mixer and using the LIVE mode panned A1 to left and A2 to right. This gave the correct result on my control room monitors and mixer output from Avid, when playing the timeline.

But when I export this sequence to file, I ned up with what sounds like a mix of both A1 and A2 on both the resulting tracks.

Question - Why does Avid export  sequence differently to how it is set up to play on the timeline?

How are you monitoring the resulting file? Some players mono both tracks.

Best way to check is to ama link back in Avid and check there.

Question - How can I achieve the desired result - a two track mono export, where the audio from timeline track A1 goes to Left and that from A2 goes to Right?

Should be as straightforward as panning tracks in the timeline (or setting audio to 'Alternating LR' in settings)

Question - can this at all be accomplished without panning each individual clip on the timeline separately to Left or right? There are hundreds of clips and this would be a very tiresome process?

You can also right click clips (before they go into a timeline) and set them to pan LR (although your version of Avid may be too old for that - not sure when it was introduced)

• Tue, Apr 9 2019 10:07 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,475

Thanks Trevor A,

I've tried thiss file in MPC-HC, Quicktime player and VLC media Player, and its mono in all - I'll try the AMA check when Avid is finished exporting the next file.

I did some fiddling with the Avid audio mixer, not sure what I clicked on, but the next file I exported was Mono 2T - but sadly I yet haven't a clue what I did.

Where is the "Alternating LR" in settinsg that you refer to

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Wed, Apr 10 2019 6:51 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,148
    • Points 13,005

Setting is in audio or audio project in the settings window. I can’t remember, I rarely use it. http://bfy.tw/N9b3

Or, for clips already in a bin, select all clips, right click, audio, set pan LR, click ok to ‘are you sure’

Or, for clips already in a sequence center panned, enable all audio tracks, mark in to out, open audio mixer, pan current playhead position to left for one track, right for the other, use hamburger drop down menu (in audio mixer, looks a bit like a hamburger) and choose ‘set pan in to out’

Or modify all clips to be stereo & use stereo timeline tracks for stereo sources and mono timeline tracks for mono sources.

This is a complicated application because it is used in complicated scenarios. Making H264 screeners is one of its weak spots, dealing with a variety of audio sources is not (although, like most things in life, it could be improved)

• Wed, Apr 10 2019 4:58 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Don't remember if this applies to MC 8.5.3 too, but projects in older releases default to mono, and You should set stereo in the audio settings. Double check the panning in the audio mix tool, loading either clips or sequences.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Apr 10 2019 5:34 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,475

Thanks to Luca and Trevor for sound advice!

I think Trevor's solution solved this - enabling the "hamburger" menu option "set pan in/out" - it seems to work anyway.

It does however strike me that this is a point on which MC is counterintuitive. IMHO it should be that export of a sequence works on a WYSIWYG basis - in toher words you get what the timeline is giving when you play it!

Perhaps the mixer should have an extra "mode" operation, in addition to auto/clip/live, perhaps I would suggest "tracks" in other words that the selected pans/levels for enabled tracks are applied to the entire timeline?

On the subject of exporting, I would love to see a small "preview option - a simple low res clip viewer that shows the resulting export, with a pair of audio indicators to ditto. When running a new export mode, it is easy to wait an hour just to find out that the audio format is mono not 2T, or that the aspect ratio is wrong - many other encoders, both stand alone and also older NLE's did this, you you could keep an eye on what its doing. If Liquid could do this back in the dual Pentium III days, I'm sure Avid has enough overhead to handle this on modern platforms.

But thanks for the input folks!

Adrian Redmond

• Wed, Apr 10 2019 7:00 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Before a lenghty export run a test on a small portion of the clip/sequence. ;-)

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller