Latest post Wed, Apr 10 2019 7:14 PM by luca.mg. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 8 2019 9:15 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,217
    • Points 14,730

Re: Completely Re-imagined

Co-editor I work with brought an old mouse mat that has an Avid keyboard printed on it. We had to explain to our assistant that the scissors and weightlifter were not a joke or some kind of April Fool. She just didn't believe it, but ended saying that it was a pair of cool icons.

Back on the subject: is Avid considering a Linux version? With Apple abandoning the ship, it would be nice to have alternatives and being able to use GPU power in a way Windows doesn't deliver.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2019 10:23 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,455

I personally do not give a pack about UI changes, not even the return of the weightlifter, I'd happily trade them for better AMA performance, better AMA media management (have You ever tried to open the media tool lately?), better interoperability with other environments, real indipendence resolution (FramFlex is a PITA), a linux version, the dropping of 32 bit QT, full support for ProRes in Windows, not to mention what cls105 said, and many other feature requests now pending for ages. If the UI refresh is the outcome of the ACA "shaping the future", it seems to me that marketing has priority over everything else.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Apr 9 2019 12:41 PM In reply to

szlevi:

Yes, it's NOT a reskin, it's a fully new backend, you can tell form the new features.

1. Considering the introduction of background rendering *and* distrib network rendering it is *definitely* a full rewrite, not some reskin - this kind of work takes long years. I wonder if they went with the old Fusion approach (which was great) ie distrib rendering is for timeline/viewport support, while bkg rendering is for offiline outputs/renders...? If the latter, is Deadline support coming...?
    Distrib render looks like a timeline/viewport supporting feature: