Latest post Thu, Apr 11 2019 4:21 PM by bushfilm. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 5 2019 11:16 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,555

How to finish?

Hi all,

I am wrapping up a half-hour documentary and need some assistance. Most of the footage was imported at fairly low rez, some at DNxHD 45, some at DNxHD 75 and my question is this: what is the best way to up-rez this footage, shot with a Panasonic GH-3 in full HD 1080p 30fps .mov format? I seemed to remember that I used to make a copy of the final sequence, delete the media in the sequence, and re-import the media at a higher rez setting. Is this the correct way? It's been a while since I did this, so please bear with me. And I don't want to screw it up either.  Thanks for your help.

• Sat, Apr 6 2019 3:40 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Re: How to finish?

Hi there! Did You import or linked and transcoded in the first place?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Apr 6 2019 4:40 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,555

As indicated, the footage was imported...no linking. All the original camera files are stored on a 3tb ext drive. Nothing has been transcoded.  Just need video nice and sharp for final output.  Thanks!

• Sat, Apr 6 2019 7:29 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Sorry Charles, many use import in place of link and transcode. The workflow you describe is fine, more or less. First of all I'd fast export a copy of the sequence to a same as source QT as a reference, just in case. I assume You only need to import video. Make a copy of the sequence in a new empty bin, get rid of the audio tracks. You have now two options: 1) hide the AvidMediaFiles folder renaming it, eg AvidMediaFiles_lowres, this will send the sequence offline, from the bin hamburger menu, set media display, enable show sources, this will show up the clips belonging to the sequence, You can now import them, or batch import. Option 2): make a copy of the sequence in a new bin, get rid of the audio, decompose, this will send the sequence offline and create .new.01-02-03 etc clips as in a consolidated sequence, You can now batch import the sequence. Once done marry back the video sequence with the audio.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Apr 6 2019 8:33 AM In reply to

bushfilm:
    I seemed to remember that I used to make a copy of the final sequence, delete the media in the sequence, and re-import the media at a higher rez setting. Is this the correct way?

Yes, that should work with no trouble.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Apr 6 2019 12:34 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

I would urge you to create a test project to validate your workflow before messing with your valuable project. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Apr 6 2019 2:34 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,555

Yes, I have a :30 trailer for the project and I'm going to try that first as a test run. Thanks!

• Tue, Apr 9 2019 2:40 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,555

Just thought I'd mention, about half the clips used in the :30 trailer did not show up, appearing in the list with a ? next to them. After a little futzing around, I figured out where they actually were, changed the path, and everything was HDxHD220 after that, but it was touch and go. My concern on the longer show is that many clips don't show up and it becomes a one-at-a-time search and click mission.I think I inadvertently moved the files.

I am thinking of breaking the main show down into smaller chunks so that if there are problems, at least, I'd be dealing with a smaller universe of clips. Any other suggestions? I seem to remember being able to use media tool to select media relatives (clips in the sequence), then reverse selection in order to select clips to delete. I tried this and must have done something wrong 'cause it didn't work.

Would I get the same results if I transcoded the sequence to DNxHD220?

Thanks.

• Tue, Apr 9 2019 3:26 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Duplicate the sequence in a new bin, from the bin hamburger menu Set bin display, enable show reference clips, in the bin columns show "Source path", and "Source file" that will tell the original path of the files, and the original name, hust in case the clip was renamed, move the files back to the original location.

peace luca

• Thu, Apr 11 2019 4:21 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,555

I'll give this a shot and report back. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller