Latest post Wed, Mar 27 2019 7:52 PM by jef. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 27 2019 1:41 PM

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 13 2013
    • Posts 154
    • Points 2,150

Same As Source Export Slow

I have the latest version of avid on an iMac pro. The project I am working on was created about two weeks ago. All of the footage has been transcoded. To make a Vimeo for client review, I usually do an export same as source and then bring it into media encoder. Export QuickTime same as source has always been very fast for me, but now it’s crawling and I have a lot of pressure to get something to the client. Please offer suggestions.  Something is wrong.  Thanks!

• Wed, Mar 27 2019 1:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,267
    • Points 218,975
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Same As Source Export Slow

what OS are you on Jason?

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Mar 27 2019 3:24 PM In reply to

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 154
    • Points 2,150

MacOS Mojave

Version 10.14.2

I am trying some things now.  I really need to fix this.  I didn't want to update to AVid 2018.12.2 for this project, but I did because I was crashing on exiting avid.  I was hoping this version would solve it.  It didn't.  I spent a lot of time working with AJA (I think my io4k is the problem).  They couldn't fix it.

1.  Reindexing media drive (promise pegasus)

Anything else to try?

• Wed, Mar 27 2019 3:27 PM In reply to

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 154
    • Points 2,150

By the way, I did fully mixdown the audio and video before i tried to export same as source quicktime, thinking that had to fix things.  It didn't.

• Wed, Mar 27 2019 3:42 PM In reply to

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 154
    • Points 2,150

It seems to be working better after reindexing the media drive.  An unmixed down timeline that is 31 minutes long took 15 minutes to export (quicktime, same as source).  Does that sound reasonable? 

By the way, on a previous try when I mixed down the audio, that took longer than mixing down the video.  That seems odd to me.

imac pro 2017

3GHz

128 GB memory

Radeon Pro Vega 64

• Wed, Mar 27 2019 6:16 PM In reply to

That sounds quite slow to me. Although it also depends on the codec you are using, as a higher data rate will need longer copy times.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 27 2019 7:52 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,426
    • Points 41,315

Some thoughts.

First for a SAS export, the AJA IO plays no part.

Second the times noted above seem about right to me (maybe a bit slow) if you are going from a sequence with mixed down Video and Audio (let's say ProRes HQ) and everything is occuring on the same drive.  By that I mean all your sources are on drive X and you are writing to drive X.  And that assumes modern high speed drives connected to the iMac with at least USB3.

But I would NOT be doing a SAS from a sequence that was not mixed down unless I was 200% sure that everything in that sequence was the same codec I was needing for export.  Not doing that can cause issues down the line.

Third, I agree mixing down audio is generally fast.  But I don't mix in Avid so I can not really say what a heavy, effects laden mix might do.

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller