Latest post Tue, Mar 19 2019 3:11 PM by Kissprod. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 14 2019 5:12 PM

• Kissprod
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 28 2007
    • Southern California
    • Posts 41
    • Points 485

JVC mp4 files unable to link in MC 2018.12

Hello everybody. I recently made a huge jump from MC 3.5.9 to 2018.12. Yeah - I had the last computer in my organization still on XP!!!

A workflow involving "link to AMA volume" with JVC avchd 720p mp4 files that worked seamlessly with one mouse click in 3.5.9 doesn't seem to be happening in 2018.12  No matter what I try in the source browser - which is what I should be using for linking files, correct? - to link the files, I keep getting the "Unable to link files at location" error message. Whether I'm attempting to link directly from the camera or via a folder on a hard drive, the results are the same.

And, of course, the file itself is incompatible for import :(

I'm beginning to think that perhaps these particular files are just not supported by this version of MC. Is that correct? Or am I doing something wrong or missing a step in the link process? I don't see any plugins listed in the Source Browser window, but since the AVCHD plug in comes bundled with MC, I am assuming it is already loaded.

For now, what I am doing is converting the files to .movs and then importing them but that is tedious because I am dealing with 5 files that total a little over an hour. It's also quite wasteful as there will probably be only 10-13 minutes total screen time from this camera in the finished program.

I need to know whether I can continue this same workflow in 2018.12 or if I am going to need to change.

Just FYI, I haven't updated my system specs but it is a brand new HP Z6 workstation designed and configured by Melrose Mac in LA. I do have QT loaded on the computer, although I did load it after 2018.12 was installed.

MC 3.5.9; Mojo; HP xw8400; Windows XP Ver. 2002 SP3; nVidia Quadro FX 3500; Intel Xeon 5160@3.00 GHz; 3GB RAM; Realtek HD audio; Pyro PCI firewire card;... [view my complete system specs]

MK in SoCal

• Tue, Mar 19 2019 3:11 PM In reply to

• Kissprod
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 28 2007
    • Southern California
    • Posts 41
    • Points 485

Re: JVC mp4 files unable to link in MC 2018.12

Thanks to Sang of AVID support we were able to resolve this situation. It turns out that I needed to download and install an entirely different plug in - Sony! - in order to link to these files.  I would have never ever ever ever ever ever been able to figure this out, or imagine I would need an entirely different plug in to resolve this issue. Nothing in the documentation or forums that I consulted even hinted at this solution.

Here is a link to the plug in in case this is your problem as well.

http://www.nablet.com/products/plugins/avid-media-composer/xavc-xdcam-ama-plugin/
    MC 3.5.9; Mojo; HP xw8400; Windows XP Ver. 2002 SP3; nVidia Quadro FX 3500; Intel Xeon 5160@3.00 GHz; 3GB RAM; Realtek HD audio; Pyro PCI firewire card;... [view my complete system specs]

MK in SoCal

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller