Latest post Mon, Mar 18 2019 10:50 AM by Dan_B. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 13 2019 8:31 AM

Easy question :-)

Hey,

how can I see how many clips have been selected in a bin?

Thanks,

Michael

MC 8.8.5, WIN 10 x64, HP z840, dual E5-2640v3 2.6Ghz, 8x4GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, MXO2 LE, Artist Mix [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 13 2019 9:04 AM In reply to

Re: Easy question :-)

With the bin active and the clips still highlighted, press Delete. You'll get a dialog box asking you to confirm deletion of X number of clips. Then cancel the deletion.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 13 2019 9:35 AM In reply to

yes, that could be a solution, but a bit scary :-)

Isn't there a way to find out how many clips, total length etc...?? That would be nica and useful!

MC 8.8.5, WIN 10 x64, HP z840, dual E5-2640v3 2.6Ghz, 8x4GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, MXO2 LE, Artist Mix [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 13 2019 9:47 AM In reply to

Michael from cologne:

yes, that could be a solution, but a bit scary :-)

Not "could be", "is". If you're worried you might accidentally check both the audio and video media boxes and then also accidentally click on OK, and THEN accidentally click on Delete in the next dialog box, perhaps you could just do the first step and then quickly back far away from the keyboard to look at the screen through a powerful telescope.

Michael from cologne:

Isn't there a way to find out how many clips, total length etc...?? That would be nica and useful!

Yes, but that is not what you asked for in your original post. If you want to know the number and total duration of selected clips, open the Console (CTRL+6), select your clips, then choose Bin > Bin Info. The Console will display the number of selected clips, and a few lines down from that the total duration of the selected clips.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Mar 13 2019 11:04 AM In reply to

Exellent, I did the thing with the telescope and it really feels safe for me.

And the workaround with CTRL-6 feels even better... (and is exactly hat I was looking for)

• Wed, Mar 13 2019 11:26 AM In reply to

Haha! You're welcome! :)

• Wed, Mar 13 2019 2:26 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Long Island
    • Posts 194
    • Points 2,435

Not to hijack this thread - but this tends to be a recurring theme in Avid, basic simple functions and information that requires bizarre workarounds to find.

Figuring out how many items are in a bin shouldnt require an editor to pretend to delete the files to get that info, or type a bunch of commands into Avid's version of 'command prompt'. 

Same with changing the Timecode of a sequence. It should be easier than right clicking in the Program monitor or the sequence in the bin (not the timleline or the timecode window) and choosing 'sequence report', changing the TC - then cancelling out of the window. It works, don't get me wrong - but it just seems a very counter-intuitive way to do it.

These basic functions and information should be easier to locate and execute. 

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9.4/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.13/MC8.9.4/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 17 2019 4:09 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,500
    • Points 64,515

I agree. Other pretender workaround: select all clips in a bin and double click, a box will pop out asking to confrm that You really want to load an x number of clips.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Mar 17 2019 5:42 PM In reply to

You can change the timecode of a sequence by clicking on the start timecode for that sequence in the bin. type a revised start timecode. Hit ok. It will warn you and just ok that. Been able to do that for years now.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Mar 18 2019 10:50 AM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 156
    • Points 1,695

You can also change the start timecode of a sequence by using the Get Info right click menu and overtyping.

I've always used Bin Info to get a clip count and duration - be advised though it doesn't always play well with frame rates which are non-naive.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller