Latest post Tue, Mar 19 2019 5:01 PM by Terry Snyder. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 11 2019 2:22 PM

Cannot import MP4 clip

I got an MP4 clip from a client.  I can play it on my system but iy won't import or AMA link.    I tried bringing it into Squeeze to transcode to a format MC will accept, but I get an error message that it is "Not a format supported by Squeeze."   I'm confused, because if it will play on my computer, I assumed my system had the appropriate codec?  I've looked online and there are a bunch of ads for converter software.   Wondering which one is the best for the price?

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Mar 11 2019 2:28 PM In reply to

Re: Cannot import MP4 clip

I just found out from the cameraman they are original Sony MP4 files.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Mar 11 2019 2:37 PM In reply to

In the Source Browser, what does it say under the Plug In column? Does it link if you choose a different plug in?

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 11 2019 2:46 PM In reply to

camoscato:

In the Source Browser, what does it say under the Plug In column?

It says "Can't Be Linked" 

Camerman said they are XAVC files from a Sony A7.   I import XAVC from my Sony FS7 all the time, but the files from the A7 are in an MP4 wrapper, which is evidently what the A7 uses.

• Mon, Mar 11 2019 3:35 PM In reply to

If you click on "Can't Be Linked" do you get any choices from the drop-down menu?

Terry Snyder:
    files from the A7 are in an MP4 wrapper, which is evidently what the A7 uses.

http://www.nablet.com/products/plugins/avid-media-composer/xavc-s-ama-plugin/

That plug-in should work (there's a demo version), but it's not free. If you google search "link a7 mp4 avid" you'll get a bunch of forum posts with suggestions about other ways to go about this.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 13 2019 2:12 PM In reply to

camoscato:

If you click on "Can't Be Linked" do you get any choices from the drop-down menu?

Terry Snyder:
    files from the A7 are in an MP4 wrapper, which is evidently what the A7 uses.

http://www.nablet.com/products/plugins/avid-media-composer/xavc-s-ama-plugin/

The cameraman was kind enough to export the clips I needed using H.264, which MC could import.   He did this in Premier.   While MP4 is still not considered a high-end professional format, more and more cameras are using it and it's frustrating that Avid requires the purchase of an $89 third-party plug-in while Premier can handle it easily...and for free!

But at least for this project, problem solved.   Thanks!

• Fri, Mar 15 2019 11:13 PM In reply to

Yeah, I know these clips. They are HEVC. For some really annoying reason, AMA does not do HEVC unless you buy an additional plugin. I drop them in Adobe Media Encoder and export them as MXF keeping all the metadata and timecode.

If you open these clips in VLC and check the codec, you'll see HEVC somewhere fur sure.

Grtz, Wim

• Tue, Mar 19 2019 5:01 PM In reply to

Wim Schalley:
    They are HEVC. For some really annoying reason, AMA does not do HEVC unless you buy an additional plugin.

This format is becoming more popular.  I don't shoot with any cameras using HEVC, but this is the second time in as many months that I've received footage using this format.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller