Latest post Sun, Mar 3 2019 11:13 AM by Pat Horridge. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 27 2019 3:21 PM

What is "Creating Video Effect" ?

Hi,

I am about to export and have chosen "Export to File" in order to create a QT Ref file to then load into Squeeze for a 1080p.mp4 final output (as this seems a better way than pumping out from MC a huge MOV to then run through Squeeze).  I thought the purpose of a QT Ref file was that it held all the information within to the appropriate media, and Squeeze would then do all the collating & exporting, etc.. However, while in MC and ready to press Save, the pop-up says that it is creating a Video Effect and the process lasts approx. 2mins; what does this mean? Also, this is a relatively simple 1-camera take, 2mins' video; if this were a complex project would several video effects be created taking ages to finally form the QT Ref file?

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 27 2019 4:26 PM In reply to

Re: What is "Creating Video Effect" ?

It's doing a render or transcode. Necessary if there are RT effects (including spatial and temporal adapters and color transformations), or when there are different codec flavors in the sequence. QT Ref can reference media, it cannot reference RT effects.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 8:57 AM In reply to

Thank you.

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 3 2019 10:41 AM In reply to

Ok, so what exactly is a render? Is it literally doing some variable of a mixdown, in that the effect is completely built up as an MXF, to then make playback a heck of a lot easier?  Or something else?  Also, is speeding up brought into the export function, in MC or in Squeeze?

• Sun, Mar 3 2019 11:13 AM In reply to

Yes a render is the creation of new media that represents an effect. As mentioned a QT ref can't reproduce effects it can only reference media so to play an effect it has to have been rendered down into nw media.

You may find doing a mixdown with in MC of you video and possibly your audio and then using that media to create a new output sequence is easier and possibly even quicker.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller