Latest post Sun, Mar 3 2019 9:15 PM by Supermandan1. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 26 2019 12:03 PM

Transparency

Hi,

I want to make an animated title to be used as part of a design in Titler Pro.  I've looked at numerous ways, including GIMP, to create this, but just cannot figure it out (GIMP's method of structuring frames for an animation is inappropriate to my design in mind).

The video to be loaded onto the MC timeline plays a mandala spinning, with its four concentric circles turning anti- & clockwise individually.  Presently, on video, the near-white of the mandala spins against a near-black background.  I want to make this black background into a transparency.  How to do ?

Also, the export file size has to be small (a few MBs at best) so as to input into Titler Pro. Albeit I'm guessing the final rendering in TP6 will bring the whole down to something manageable?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 27 2019 9:48 AM In reply to

Re: Transparency

Hi, can anyone help on this one ?

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:02 AM In reply to

Really... anyone, please ?

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 3:42 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,545
    • Points 45,590
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The easiest way would be to key out the background in TP6. Note that it's probably easier to do if you also replace the black background with a solid green or blue background, otherwise you might inadvertantly alter any black lines in the actual graphic.

Please look at the TP6 doc's for how to key out color information.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 3:58 PM In reply to

Ok, I will explore this option.  While we're here, though, how to do this in MC ?

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 6:12 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    While we're here, though, how to do this in MC ?

MC is not the best tool for building an animated title. If someone has given you a graphic on a black background and you want the background to be transparent, your best option is to go back to them and ask for the graphic to be made on a transparent background (an alpha graphic).

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 6:16 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,545
    • Points 45,590

MC is notriously bad at exporting files with Alpha channels. Depending on the version of MC, you may be able to get one out as DNxHD or DNxHR, and I think TIF image sequences may support them, but that's about it. I do all my FX work in other applications, so if I'm dealing with sequences from MC I green screen the background (in other words, the bottom track is nothing but a green backgroound, and anything I key out above shows it) and export the mixdown. Then I color key out the green is whatever else I'm using.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 6:18 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,545
    • Points 45,590

camoscato:
    your best option is to go back to them and ask for the graphic to be made on a transparent background
    Or what Carl said!!

Dave S.

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 6:54 PM In reply to

Ok, thank you.  I have contacted NewBlue, we'll see what comes of it.  I thought I had read somewhere that you can apply a mask and somehow 'transparency out' the surrounding of the circle.  In theory this sounds relatively easy, but it's the result that counts.

• Sun, Mar 3 2019 10:38 AM In reply to

Hi, NewBlue came back and their solution is surprisingly simple & effective. Thank you, DC

• Sun, Mar 3 2019 2:53 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:

Hi, NewBlue came back and their solution is surprisingly simple & effective. Thank you, DC

That's great! Are you going to share it so if someone else comes across this thread they'll benefit?

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Mar 3 2019 9:15 PM In reply to

Hi, yes.

Specifically, I am looking to mask off the outer edges of a spinning manala (circle), so the details may slightly change for other people's requirements.  In essence, in TP it is Add Shape > Ellipse.  Then in the Style tab add your colour/gradient/photo/image.  Then in the Effects tab hit the drop-down and select Mask. Then play around with the options that then pop up under Blending Mode and see what works best for you.

D.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller