Latest post Sat, Feb 16 2019 8:23 PM by schnitt. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 11 2019 5:22 PM

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 27 2007
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

"Relink to file(s)" greyed out.

Not sure what causes this or the fix.  Need to relink a bunch of AMA linked clips.

Thanks if anyone knows.

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 5:38 PM In reply to

Re: "Relink to file(s)" greyed out.

Use the "std" way.

Create a new bin. AMAlink files into that new bin. Clips should relink. trash that bin.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 5:56 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Thank you.  I have AMA linked to new bins, but not seeing relinking to old bin clips and more importantly the selects sequence I had created.

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 6:30 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Newly linked are the top two.  Ones that won't give me the option to right-click and "Relink to file"

are the second two, and these are assoctiated with a long sequence of selects I'd like to have linked up again.

the Avid Generic Plug-In 2.6 seems to be the culprit. Still not sure how to address.

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 6:43 PM In reply to

With the newly AMA;d bins open right click the seq and choose relink then choose the selected open bins option.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 6:59 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Thanks, but can't seem to make that go either.  Newly linked clips show "Avid Generic" as Plug-In

Older unlinkable clips show , "Avid Generic Plug-In 2.6"

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 7:13 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/185666.aspx

Maybe no fix for this.  Hope it doesn't apply to some other large projects.

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 7:41 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Other thing I'm noticing is that these clips, originally AMA linked last August, when linked now come in as a single stereo channel where it was 2 mono.

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 8:12 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,173
    • Points 14,070

Sometimes it feels so reassuring to see that others hit bugs or features where I thought 'why is this happening again to me humble editor ?' Wink

MC 2018.12 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (10.11.2.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz - 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 11 2019 8:16 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

It's funny, I've had pretty good luck for many years trouble shooting.  And by and large I've felt

Avid MC has been very reliable.  There is always, it seems, a fix.  This one has me puzzled, and I hope it won't

be an issue on some projects that live on multiple hard drives spanning many years and many hundreds of hours worth of work.

• Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:43 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,338
    • Points 40,375

I am dealing with a similar issue here.  I intentionally "hid" a linked file.  So now the Linked file master clip shows Media Offline.

But no matter what I do I can NOT get the Relink to File(s) button to "ungrey".

I am writing another thread on a related issue which may be more of a feature request than a bug.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Feb 13 2019 9:57 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,338
    • Points 40,375

Ok, here is some info that may help the OP.

While researching another question about this, I did the unthinkable - I read the User Guide!!!

And I quote from Editing Guide / Linking File-Based Media: Linking to QuickTime Media

"At this time, Relink to QuickTime File(s) is only available with QuickTime files."

So it seems as if the menu in the UI was written for future functionality - when relinking will work for any linked file type.  The UI does not specify QuickTime File(s).

This does answer some questions I have had.

I would suggest that getting this feature implemented across all linkable files is VERY important.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Feb 15 2019 9:09 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,100
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

schnitt:

Other thing I'm noticing is that these clips, originally AMA linked last August, when linked now come in as a single stereo channel where it was 2 mono.

That's determined by Link Settings/Link options/Multichannel audio, which is a user setting.

HTH

NIgel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 16 2019 2:07 PM In reply to

• DonE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2009
    • California, USA
    • Posts 78
    • Points 935

Pat Horridge:

Use the "std" way.

Create a new bin. AMAlink files into that new bin. Clips should relink. trash that bin.

A similar method that I use: In the bin with the Linked Master Clip(s) that is offline (dang Windows drive letters in a shared environment), Alt Drag the offline file into the bin and the original clip will relink. If Avid creates a second clip rather than relinking the original than there is something different about the source file.

A second method if you are inclined to use the Source Browser is to simply browse to the location of the offline files and any files Avid finds might relink.

1x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP z800-dual 6core-24GB-Quadro FX 4800-Nitris DX QT775 NV340.84** 3x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP xw8600-8GB-Quadro FX 3700... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 16 2019 7:30 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Thanks, seeing that now. (RE: stereo to mono setting)

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller