Latest post Sun, Feb 10 2019 2:24 PM by Fish. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 9 2019 6:02 PM

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 557
    • Points 6,770

"Interpret Frame Rate" setting

Worked with Resolve for one project and I am walking (running?) back to my Avid MC.

But there are things in Resolve I’m very jealous of. One has to be be how they are more flexible with frame rates and importing media. In Resolve you can import (e.g.) 60fps media and then in Resolve there are a few ways you can handle this media. It can play back in real-time, or it can play back at the project frame rate (slowing the footage down) or you can ramp it with keyframes. But there’s no pre-transcoding the media in Adobe Media Encoder. It’s just a mouse-click operation. Super-simple. In the AMC it should be just that flexible. Bring in (again, e.g.) 60fps media, interpret the footage to 24fps (using the source settings globally on the original clips) or open the motion effect tool on a clip in the timeline and adjust anything you need. And the sound should match…if it slows down, slow down the sound(!). If it has to be a non-real-time effect, so be it. But it would be way better than all the effort that is required to bring it in the way you want to edit it. Right now it appears it requires transcoding, and/or console settings (that don’t even seem to work). It’s an awkward, painful, and often not ineffective set of procedures. it’s a mess…and Resolve shows it doesn’t have to be that way. If I’m doing this all wrong in the AMC, I’d like someone to explain clearly, set-by-step what I’m doing wrong. because anything I find in the forums does not help.

2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Sat, Feb 9 2019 10:06 PM In reply to

Re: "Interpret Frame Rate" setting

Uhm I bring in high frame rate clips. Set the playback rate in souce settings to project instead of source and then it plays super slow mo with in sync audio which I can then cut in the timeline and it plays realtime.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Feb 10 2019 12:14 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 403
    • Points 5,195

MC has the features I think you are wanting.

First off, "importing" is a horrible method of ingesting any video.

Always LINK, then transcode.

And if you want to work with clips in their native frame rate (so you can adjust fps later) and native resolution (why waste space with upconverting) then select these options when transcoding your linked clips.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you are looking for in MC.

And ill add a feature request here:  "anchoring" when promoting a clip with a different frame rate could be more intuitive.  When I change a clip's fps on a timeline, the entire clip moves around.  It seems like this is not always a problem, but very annoying when the starting part of my clip is in a complete different section of my clip. not sure if that makes sense.

MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.5ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 10 2019 2:24 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 557
    • Points 6,770

Okay…I was going to write a long rant about why that wasn’t working when I decided to try all that again. And…it worked. So I’m feeling a little stupid. And now I see how much of my time (and storage space) I’ve wasted transcoded the footage first. So thanks for the kick in the rump. (Better late than never).
    2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller