Latest post Mon, Feb 4 2019 9:39 PM by Adrian Redmond. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:47 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 164
    • Points 2,275

Project cleanup - is it necessary/possible in MC?

This might be a question about a problem that doesn't exist, but I'll ask anyway...

Back in my Liquid days, a large project that one had been working on for a long time would end up with an unecessarily massive project metadata file, which could slow the editing and playback process dramatically - so every few days we had to run a routine to cleanup the database. I once saw a project database file shrink from 6GB to under 1GB - that was the first time I discovered the problem.

It sudenly occurs to me that I have enevr seen this problem or such a feature with Avid - possibly because Avid handles the project metadata in a different way - in which case such a clean up is not necessary.

Does anyone know if there is such an issue - or such a clean-up feature with Avid. (I'm hoping not - as I don't see a problem - just want to be sure)?

:)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 5:29 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 914
    • Points 11,705

Re: Project cleanup - is it necessary/possible in MC?

Adrian,

I have not seen a problem with project and bin files within MC. However, There is a mediafile issue with large projects. For each sequence renderfiles are kept seperate from other sequences. So if you duiplicate a sequence and make some modifications to it, you render the modifications and will get additional render files. This goes on with every new sequence (modified privious or new). You will end up with an increased storage pool in Avid Mediafiles directory. This is especially an issue with UHD video, as the render files can get very large e.g. for every color correction the render file is as large as the original imported clip.

It is therefore a good measure to apply "consilidate" when you have finished a sequence, which just keeps the media used in the sequence and not the unused clips or unused parts of clips.

And you should delete the render files od sequences which you do not continue to work with. This saves storage in Avid's media database. If the sequence is neede later again, you can rerender it.

Joachim 

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 5:57 PM In reply to

Tidying up is always a good idea. creating a final bin of the final sequence(s) consolidating any media needing to be retained. Deleting all the unwanted media. Clearing the atic for that project. Deleteing backup projects you will have made along the way. backing up sources and project assests etc.

All good things to do.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 6:04 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 164
    • Points 2,275

Thanks Pat - I agree about the manual cleanup routine as you list - my question was, is there any single "project database" in Avid that needs some sort of cleanup/defragmenting so it doesn't bloat? That was certainly an issue in Liquid, but that had a single project database file for each project - Abvid seems to handlæe metadata in a different way, so maybe that's not an issue on Avid?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 7:29 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    is there any single "project database" in Avid that needs some sort of cleanup/defragmenting so it doesn't bloat?

No, there's not.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 9:39 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 164
    • Points 2,275

That's good news - one less issue to worry about! Thanks Carl!

Adrian Redmond

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller