Latest post Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:56 PM by Supermandan1. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 27 2019 10:39 PM

Audio there, but blank video on import

Hi,

I'm attempting to import MOV files into MC.  While they play perfectly well in ordinary media players, and even AMA link well enough, the files do not play video (just a blank screen) when importing.  This has never happened before. 

Please advise,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 6:10 AM In reply to

Re: Audio there, but blank video on import

If they link ok, then just link them and transcode them to whatever resolution you like. You'll wind up with the same result as if you'd imported them, and transcoding is usually faster than importing.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 2:49 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,156
    • Points 23,140

also if you are on windows it might be a quick time thing as it is no longer supported in windows so as Carl said ama them and transcode them 

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 8:19 PM In reply to

Strange that it should work one way but not the other.  So what are the full differences between importing and transcoding?  And how does QT no longer supported by Windows make a difference?  (Also, I still have a QT player on my system and checked that, and it works.)

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 9:18 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    So what are the full differences between importing and transcoding? 

They are two different ways of arriving at the same result. Importing creates media directly during the import process, and link & transcode creates media during the transcode part of the process. The media created each way is the same.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jan 29 2019 2:26 PM In reply to

Thank you.  Two things: what does QT no longer supported on Windows mean, and how this might affect me working in MC? And I'm not there just yet, but will be soon, is this likely to affect a time lapse import (sequential JPEGS, a process I've done a lot)? I guess I will find out soon enough, though just trying to act prepared.

• Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:41 PM In reply to

Hi there, can someone please take a look at the above query.  Thank you, D.

• Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:50 PM In reply to

Quicktime 7 has been EOL’d by Apple a long time ago, but classic file-import in MC was built on using the QT engine to being certain types of media in.

AMA/Linking is a much more modern way to bring in source video files. While it CAN use QT for certain file types, it has dedicated engines for many codecs and containers.

In general, for importing video files, linking&transcoding is more versatile and much faster than any traditional File-Import.

I’m not sure if sequential JPEG uses the QT engine, but I think Linking to an image sequence is also possible.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 30 2019 3:56 PM In reply to

Ok, thank you.  So the technical answer is that transcoding is faster than importing because, while it may end up as the same 'destination' (ie., an MXF file), it could well be a different codec that gets you there?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller