Latest post Mon, Feb 4 2019 3:37 AM by conleec. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 26 2019 5:09 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

Select ALL to the right

I would like to see the timeline right click menu option "Select ALL to the right" - thus allowing one to mark all clips to the right of the cursor, regardless of which tracks are enabled.

The reason - my most common way of pre-editing interview-based programmes is to choose and cut the interview sequences one at a time, dumping them onto a timeline as I progress - usually in what I perceive to be the desired order - with a little space in between to denote intervening sequences, voiceovers etc.

This way I can edit and time the content that defines the running time of a project, before labouring with the details of effects, graphics and the fun bits. Then I can transcribe the content into a script and write the voiceovers etc. so that when I do the final cut and finishing I am working to a script which is pretty well nailed down and I am confident of the running time and editorial dispositions.

As I work this way - and certainly when I get to finishing, I am often using the "select to the right" to push and pull the remaining rough cut sequences back and forth as I progress - but by then I'm also working on many tracks at once, in different combinations, which means that I must remember, when selecting, which tracks need to be enabled for me to select all the pre-cut clips at once so as to maintain synchronicity between tracks.

If we had a "Select all to the right" option, that ignored the enabled or disabled tracks and simply selected ALL, withour changing the track selection settings, such a manouvre - which I use perhaps a few hundred times in each project, would be a cinch.

Another approach could be a "enable all tracks" toggle button, which when released would return to track selection to what it was previously - but I'd plump for the select all to the right option if possible.

Any chance of this?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Sat, Jan 26 2019 6:42 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,373
    • Points 40,745

Re: Select ALL to the right

I believe this as well as select all to the left already exists. Not in front of a machine currently.  I would suggest a trip to the user guide.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Jan 26 2019 7:15 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    Another approach could be a "enable all tracks" toggle button, which when released would return to track selection to what it was previously

That's a good idea. As it works now there's no way to temporarily disable or ignore the track selection aspect of the selection buttons. The only things you can control are whether or not filler is included in the selection, and whether to constrain the selection using in/out marks.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 26 2019 11:04 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

Jeff wrote : I believe this as well as select all to the left already exists.

Hi Jeff - Yes select to the right exists already, but the selection is dependent on the currently enabled tracks - only the clips to the right (or left for that matter) that are on enabled tracks get selected, so it's easy to shunt a lot of clips and forget that there is audio lower down the line that got left behind - hence my suggestion.

Of course there is a use for selecting only the clips on enabled tracks - so I wouldn't want to change that - simply add an option which selects all to the left/right, regardless of track settings.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Sun, Jan 27 2019 4:10 PM In reply to

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/126738.aspx

Similar request from yesteryear. 

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 27 2019 4:20 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

If I may be so bold to say it, the beauty of my proposal is that it shouldn't/doesn't need to alter the track selection/patching you are working with - it simply ignores the track selection when selecting clips - once you have made your selection and move the track selection is exactly as it was before. :)

Adrian Redmond

• Sun, Feb 3 2019 7:38 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,126
    • Points 12,775

Good & useful idea. 

Personally I use control & A to select all tracks but I can see the use of maintaining track selection.

Possibly you could enable trim mode, then disable, select all tracks, select to the right & move then Alt & enable trim mode to get back to your previous track selection.

• Sun, Feb 3 2019 5:24 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:

If I may be so bold to say it, the beauty of my proposal is that it shouldn't/doesn't need to alter the track selection/patching you are working with - it simply ignores the track selection when selecting clips - once you have made your selection and move the track selection is exactly as it was before. :)

good suggestion,- the more the merrier, but at a certain point I like to ask why? 

1. What do you need to do next immediately after you have Selected All Tracks & Highlighted All Clips to the Right? 

Why do All the tracks need to be selected? Is there a Soundtrack involved beyond your interview tracks?

2. Is your timeline’s track panel normally set to Sync Locks = ON, or  OFF, or are you changing their status on & off while editing?

3. Are you “opening” the tineline precisely a particular duration to fit your pre-cut “Sub-Sequences” or are you opening a greater than needed amount and then “closing” up any extra space after inserting something in between?

4. Do you sometimes use Lasso or do you never use Lasso? Are you a keyboard-only Editor?

5 Do you ever use Add Filler tool?

There are a variety of ways to open and close a Sequence, answering the above questions helps to personalize a suggestion for you...and others. I did see that you began the thread with an explanation, but I thought extra info would only help. 

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 3 2019 5:47 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

Thanks for your question... A common workflow for me, often used on productions with many interviews, is to pre-cut the interviews as I am writing the edit script (on paper) by laying them onto the timeline in some rough order. By the time they are all pre-cut (though will often be thinned out or shortened to get the total duration to fit the job) I will have written the narratiion and have selected some of the action sequences that also determine the running time - leaving me with a timeline that contains everything except the fun stuff (title and graphics sequences, music montages etc). At this time the timeline might be in excess of 30 minutes.

Then I begin at the start of the timeline, completing the edit as I go towards the end - a task which often requires pushing or pulling the remaining pre-cut footage (i.e. to the right) to make space or join up to the completed part of the show (to the left). At this stage I may have 2 or 3 active video tracks and usually up to 8 active audio tracks, so the pushing and pulling must move all tracks to the right at once to maintain vertical synchonicity between clips.

This means (especially when you can't immediately see everything to the right) enabling all tracks and moving things, then getting back to cutting details again. Ctrl-A for enabling all tracks is good, but it still requires resetting the tracks manually afterwards.

I often use sync locks on and off, but not all the clips tht I wish to retain in sync come from the same source clip.

In th edit process I will often rearrange things by moving a pre-cut set of clips forward or backwards, thus needing to shuffle and make space, then close up any gaps afterwards.

I often use lasso, but only when I can see all the clips I want to lasso within the same timeline view. I'm not a keyboard only editor, though I use as many keyboard shortcuts as I can - otherwise mouse or artist panels also.

Having edited on NLE's for 20 years without the filler feature, I have never really understood the concept of fillers in Avid, and I disabled them when I first started working with Avid, as I found the highlighting of empty spaces distracting. Perhaps other Avid users can enlighten me to the benefits of fillers?

I hope this makes sense of my suggestion - just a simple way to enable all tracks, move clips to the right one way or another, then return to the same track settings that I had before. :)

Adrian Redmond

• Sun, Feb 3 2019 7:49 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,126
    • Points 12,775

Adrian Redmond:
    I often use sync locks on and off, but not all the clips tht I wish to retain in sync come from the same source clip

I think you are talking about ‘linked selection’ there. Sync locks (https://splicenow.com/2009/02/16/sync-locks-and-why-you-need-them/) are the little diamonds between the source & record track selection. Click the one on the TC track to enable/disable all. With them all enabled clips to the right will maintain sync regardless of trim/edit operations you do to just 1 track. Not quite the magnetic timeline that FCPX has but it is pretty much the default behaviour in other NLEs, whereas Avid defaults to sync locks off.

Adrian Redmond:
    Having edited on NLE's for 20 years without the filler feature, I have never really understood the concept of fillers in Avid, and I disabled them when I first started working with Avid, as I found the highlighting of empty spaces distracting

I absolutely agree that default when selecting clips left/right should be to NOT select filler - as you can end up overwriting real clips with filler.

The ‘add filler’ Telegram! refers to is (I think) the practice of cutting filler in to shift all clips right. You can ‘load filler’ in the source window and enable all tracks on timeline and insert the filler (which is really just gap).

(You can do the same thing with any clip in the source window - just deselect the tracks on the source side.)

• Sun, Feb 3 2019 8:09 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

Hi TrevorA - yes it was the automatic and undesired selection of filler that persuaded me to disable the filler feature. I don't know if I lost any other bnenefits at the same time, but so far no problem.

I took a re-read of the manual about sync-locking today - I haven't uised the feature much before. but I did notice thta it will lock all tracks together regardless of source. I'm not sure how useful this is as an alternative to "select ALL to the right" as it involves the need to unlock all the locks every time on wishes to alter individual clip horizontal relationships - a task that is much the same as enabling and disabling many tracks. I'll give it a try and see how I get on with it though.

Is it possible to sync lock individual clips - that might not be from the same source - so that their temporal relationship to each other cannot be changed inadvertently? Without locking entires tracks that is?

Adrian Redmond

• Sun, Feb 3 2019 8:11 PM In reply to

... what TrevorA says, plus

Thanks for the extra detail. It’s a good feature request, I hope you get it soon,and meanwhile:

I also often work on large timelines, about 8-12 Audio tracks and many video. Like you, it is interviews but also various stereo sound dissolves and mono narration plus random mono sfx or dialog patches. A Pro Tools mixer takes it from there.

Eventually, every editor finds what works best for them... MC software provides so many approaches. 

I believe we all become creatures of habit, seeking predictable results as we work the timeline.

I always use Synclocks = ON; (I like the “snap” it provides) If I want to make room & open up the timeline, I will often do a custom Keyboard Press for Select All Tracks, then Add-Edit. Then I’ll lasso an Add-Edit created on any single empty “Filler” track, to single roller trim (“push”) the whole timeline forward to a measure I need. 

This can also be done by clicking the >1- >>10 frame icons or even using Enter on numeric keypad once set to a positive numeric value. (Great for adding exact openings)

By having Synclocks ON, I know from experience that I can use this Single-roller Trim Right/forward (or Left/backwards) with expected results—- I have become totally comfortable in NOT seeing that the entire timeline (the part out of view) is still in sync with itself, remains as it was before “opening” the timeline, pushing it further out of view.

If there was a music track or other sound bed that I needed to stay “as was”, I just return it to its original position, typically using the Lasso to snap/drag the highlighted segment/clips earlier, to re-join the Add-Edited clip. 

So for me, it’s a non-linear, one-two punch that gets the job done. I guess it appeals to me.

My sense is that there’s a sweet spot for beginners to Avid editing where you begin to see an expected  result on the Timeline immediately after pressing a key. If something else happens,you stop and check your whole timeline, to be safe.

You will be there very soon,  if you are not already.

Filler has a variety of uses.

“Add Filler”, mapped to the keyboard or an icon might be exactly what you want,

as it can open up the timeline without changing or adding to your track selections (use sync locks = ON and try it out). 

I believe if you have In-Out Marks set on your timeline, it will place that duration’s worth “At Position” of the cursor, otherwise it gives you 1 second per click. 

There are also implications when moving highlighted Filler segments/clips that you should be aware of.

I believe that segment dragging or “nudging” highlighted Filler clips can be unintentionally destructive... by multiplying the amount of adjacent Filler into larger Filler clips that are wind up erasing the nearest non-Filler clip in its path. 

(*Perhaps that’s no longer happening in recent versions?)

The Lasso is useful in your case - you probably have learned that it can Select Tracks rather quickly, (an alternative to using Track Panel or keypresses) as well as highlight selected clips, though it will not expose the entire timeline if you want to do with the Lasso what you can easily do with Select All to Right tool. (That’s an FR I want)

Lasso is arguably slower than keyboard-only maneuvers, but speediness is an editor choice not a requirement, especially if you are dwelling on editorial content on your own schedule. 

The Lasso in combination with the left-hand keyboard tapping away on Less Detail and More Detail custom keys are where I landed, as a creature of habit, with MC. 

Good luck.

• Sun, Feb 3 2019 10:25 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,126
    • Points 12,775

Adrian Redmond:
    I'm not sure how useful this is as an alternative to "select ALL to the right" as it involves the need to unlock all the locks every time on wishes to alter individual clip horizontal relationships - a task that is much the same as enabling and disabling many tracks.

No need to turn sync locks off, for the most part. You can still slide individual clips/ groups of clips around - sync locks has effect when you insert or trim. 

Half of editors hate sync locks and the rest of us can’t work without them.

To lock individual clips (eg pix & double sound)  together you need to autosync them and work with linked selection on. I find that too painful so keep it turned off.

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 3:37 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Sync locks. Add edit anywhere and single roller trim to your heart's content.

C

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 4 2019 3:37 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Sync locks. Add edit anywhere and single roller trim to your heart's content.

C

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller