Latest post Sat, Jan 26 2019 5:20 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 26 2019 3:23 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,245

Source/Record viewer windows

I would welcome a slight modification to the source/record viewer monitor data fields.

The currect design seems to assume that the editor only wants to overview duration (I/O) data from either one or the other screen - but never both at once.

A common workflow for me is to select in and out points for a clip in the source viewer, and then work on the timeline, from where my eyes will often return to the source viewer to ask "how long is that clip I have just marked up?" - But as so often with Avid, it thinks for me, moving focus away from what it thinks I don't need, so that when I need it, I have to move/click on mouse, keyboard or something else rather than simply look.

Could we not have separate in, out, duration and TC position readouts for each monitor - or at least for the source monitor?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Sat, Jan 26 2019 4:03 PM In reply to

Re: Source/Record viewer windows

Adrian Redmond:
    A common workflow for me is to select in and out points for a clip in the source viewer, and then work on the timeline, from where my eyes will often return to the source viewer to ask "how long is that clip I have just marked up?" - But as so often with Avid, it thinks for me, moving focus away from what it thinks I don't need, so that when I need it, I have to move/click on mouse, keyboard or something else rather than simply look.

In this scenario, the I/O display above the source monitor should not change. When you're doing this, at what point is it changing, and what does it change to?

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 26 2019 4:19 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,245

OK - Carl - you caught me out there! I was relying on the display between the two monitors, which shows duration of the monitor currently active - now I have set the source display to I/O and - as you advise - this stays on. Previously I had the lower of the two display fields set to "duration" so I could see the duration of the entire clip.

I don't really understand the lower display on the record monitor which is set to I/O TC1 - if there are in and outpoints set on the timeline, it displays the correct interval between them, but if I delete all in/outs on the TL, it simply shows a countdown value to programme end - but maybe this is a design feature that is intended? Might be useful though, now I know about it :)

Thanks again Carl :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Sat, Jan 26 2019 5:20 PM In reply to

You're welcome!

Adrian Redmond:
    I don't really understand the lower display on the record monitor which is set to I/O TC1 - if there are in and outpoints set on the timeline, it displays the correct interval between them, but if I delete all in/outs on the TL, it simply shows a countdown value to programme end - but maybe this is a design feature that is intended?

If there are no in/out marks, the I/O field displays the duration from the blue position indicator to the end of the clip, so yes, this is as intended.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller