Latest post Tue, Jan 29 2019 3:00 PM by Telegram!. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 26 2019 1:27 AM

Stereo audio tracks are only mono in my multi cam project

Hi all. I’m new to AMC and require assistance with the multi cam function. I’ve got two interview angles which I’ve grouped together (auto sync didn’t work) and have put this sequence onto a timeline. My problem is that when I select the drop down menu to select A1 for one angles’ audio, and A2 for the other angles’ audio, I end up with 2 mono tracks. My two stereo tracks from both audio sources are now both mono. How do I get these tracks back to stereo whilst keeping it in a milticam clip? My A1 and A2 tracks are set to stereo and my A3 and A4 are mono, if that’s any help. Do I possibly need to adjust something there?  I don’t want to start cutting these multi cam interviews until I know whether I can have both audio sources in stereo. 

Chris

• Sat, Jan 26 2019 3:46 PM In reply to

Re: Stereo audio tracks are only mono in my multi cam project

Are you still dealing with this? Which MC version? Are you on v2018.12 using “Create Group”?

There may be a workaround. I’m not sure I’m following you, though.

For starters, I know you can Split a stereo audio track into two mono tracks on the timeline.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 26 2019 3:48 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,128
    • Points 12,785

aviduser2018:
    auto sync didn’t work
    That is for syncing sound & 1 track of video.

aviduser2018:
    I don’t want to start cutting these multi cam interviews until I know whether I can have both audio sources in stereo

You can't. Long time feature request. MCam will, for example, make two stereo pairs into four mono tracks that you need to pan Left/Right (or have the audio settings set to Alternating Left/Right rather than Centre)

If you group 2 x cameras, both with one stereo audio track you will get a group with 1 video and 2 mono audio tracks. These tracks (video and audio) can be switched between the two cameras.

When multicam clip is in source monitor the top left drop down allows 'audio to follow video' and also selection of video and audio sources.

Once a multicam clip is in a timeline you can right click and select different camera angles OR you can use keyboard shortcuts OR buttons to switch angles (more used for switching video than audio).

If you need audio from BOTH cameras then duplicate A1&A2 onto A3&A4 and have one pair switched to cam1 and the other switched to Cam2.

• Sun, Jan 27 2019 11:40 AM In reply to

Telegram! I am using 2018.10 

• Sun, Jan 27 2019 8:02 PM In reply to

aviduser2018:

Hi all. I’m new to AMC and require assistance with the multi cam function. I’ve got two interview angles which I’ve grouped together (auto sync didn’t work) and have put this sequence onto a timeline. My problem is that when I select the drop down menu to select A1 for one angles’ audio, and A2 for the other angles’ audio, I end up with 2 mono tracks. My two stereo tracks from both audio sources are now both mono. How do I get these tracks back to stereo whilst keeping it in a milticam clip? My A1 and A2 tracks are set to stereo and my A3 and A4 are mono, if that’s any help. Do I possibly need to adjust something there?  I don’t want to start cutting these multi cam interviews until I know whether I can have both audio sources in stereo. 

Chris

v2018.10, got it.

I confess, I cannot follow this exactly.

I wasn't aware of the long-feature request described above regarding stereo files & Grouping, which seems to be at play in your case.

In terms of your Camera 1, it sounds like you do have a true stereo A1 = L and A2 = R in your Group Clip, is that correct?

As for your Camera 2, it seems that in your Group Clip you have a Ch3 and Ch4 = same (mono).

Is that it, or something different? When you edit from the Group, do you get 2 tracks of audio on timeline, or 4?

In the original production, was it something like a Stereo Lav on Cam 1, and another Stereo Lav on Cam 2, What exactly was it and is the idea that you want BOTH stereo sources available in your Group Clip, so that you have 4 audio Tracks on the timeline.

(What TrevorA mentioned last, above)

I don't usually get Stereo master clips upon import. I never use them on my timelines. When I do, I know there's a right-click available on timeline to "SplitTrack to Mono". Then I get two tracks on timeline, L+R.

I'm curious what the workaround is-- and if there is a way, as you had asked, to have both camera's Stereo sound available in the GroupClip.

All I can think of is to export the Split 2 track L+R wav and re-import t, adding that to your GroupClip, but I recognize that's not ideal, asking for trouble, etc.

I suspect someone with more audio experience will pitch in to help you sort this out --- plus you have an avid.com support contract, no?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 7:09 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

can't you just lay your audio tracks from each clip down on the timeline independent of the grouped clip you are using for your video? You'll just need to lay them down synced correctly to match your cameras. Then don't bother with the audio from the group and either mute them to use as a reference or remove them entirely from the sequence.

You only really need the group clip to easily switch camera angles. 

MC 2018.4 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. MC 2018.5 Asus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 7:55 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,128
    • Points 12,785

Erik:

can't you just lay your audio tracks from each clip down on the timeline independent of the grouped clip you are using for your video? You'll just need to lay them down synced correctly to match your cameras. Then don't bother with the audio from the group and either mute them to use as a reference or remove them entirely from the sequence.

You only really need the group clip to easily switch camera angles. 

That would be a very annoying way to work - I think you won't get sync info. I have to work that way in PPro to avoid audio problems when committing multicam. Avid is much stronger for multicam audio all round. You just have to learn its idiosyncracies

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 8:11 PM In reply to

So is there an All-Avid workaround that does NOT involve Stereo Splitting into two mono (i.e., L mono,  R mono ) tracks>

Wav exporting Direct from sync timeline>Same Wav importing>

Re-Grouping, including that 4-Channel Wav?

I can’t think of anything else to do....?

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 10:53 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

Certainly not ideal, but he just has two cameras with their own audio. He's not cutting something crazy complex it seems.

Syncing can be done manually pretty easily since you can easily see how the group is synced together.

I'm also curious as to whether the "commit multicam edits" would replace the mono "group clip" audio with the source cameras' stereo tracks.

MC 2018.4 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. MC 2018.5 Asus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 29 2019 4:05 AM In reply to

Erik:

Certainly not ideal, but he just has two cameras with their own audio. He's not cutting something crazy complex it seems.

Syncing can be done manually pretty easily since you can easily see how the group is synced together.

I'm also curious as to whether .the "commit multicam edits" would replace the mono "group clip" audio with the source cameras' stereo tracks.

I have never needed to use Commit. I don’t know what happens to the audio. Your idea seems like a possibility, but I have no idea. Would any level changes be maintained afterwards ? Somehow I doubt it but who knows.

I suspect that our engineers are on top of the Group Clip feature and always working to bring us good solutions for every variation of audio file we want to throw at MC, for Group Clipping, in all its forms. 

I’m mainly curious about what I can do today if, like the OP, I must have a 2-camera 2x Stereo (total of 4 tracks) Group Clip to edit with... a feature and tool I’ve taken for granted with my predictable workflow. 

I’m ok with a workaround in the meantime, if that’s required. Just want to nail down what it would be.

• Tue, Jan 29 2019 1:02 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,128
    • Points 12,785

Did a little test:

Stereo source tracks become mono when grouped

2 x Video source (Cam 1, Cam 2) each with 3 x stereo pairs (modified to be 3 x stereo using Clip|Modify)

Grouped those 2 sources (using Group Clips, by in Point) - results in Grouped clip with 6 x mono tracks.

Commiting multicam retains mono tracks

Cutting into sequence, switching audio then committing multicam results in 6 x mono tracks still.

How to have multiple source tracks available in the group (i.e. switch video, choose audio by track)

IF you wanted to have all 12 source tracks available in a group edit then:

1. Sub out Cam 2 video only = 'Cam2_Vid_Sub'

2. Sub out Cam 2 audio only = 'Cam2_Aud_Sub'

3. AutoSync Cam1 and Cam2_Aud_sub - check box to keep audio with video - results in Cam1 Video then 6 Cam1 audio tracks then 6 Cam2 audio tracks. 'Cam1_All_Aud_Sync' (i.e. 1 x video and 12 x audio)

4. Group Cam1_All_Aud_Sync and Cam2_Vid_Sub = 'Cams_with_12_audio'

This group clip now can be switched for video (Cam1/Cam2) but has 12 tracks of audio. Out of sync indicators will work. Match frame will match to Group, then match to 'Sync' then match back to original clip (depending on track selections). 

NB: Clip text | 'Source Names' will help you identify tracks in the 12 track sync clip.

(I don't think it matters if you start with stereo or leave clips as mono because they will be stripped out to mono when grouped anyway. )

• Tue, Jan 29 2019 3:00 PM In reply to

Excellent! Nicely done.

Question: does editing from that Group give the timeline all 12 tracks at once or 6 with a choice of selecting the other camera’s audio? 

In other words, is it a 12x1 Group or a 6 x2 Group?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller