Latest post Tue, Apr 9 2019 8:55 AM by BenoitM. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 24 2019 8:51 PM

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,895

Avid Link replacing App Manager?

Is the new Avid Link going to replace the Avid application manager for Media Composer?

Thanks,

Leo

Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Pro Tools 12.7 OSX Sierra 10.12.6 Computer: HP Z800 DUAL QUAD XEON X5667 3.07GHZ 96GB 2TB Caldigit HDONE Media 1TB SSD Graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 24 2019 11:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid Link replacing App Manager?

Leo

Yes it will as 2019.x versions of the creative tool come out, Link will replace AppMan.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 12:08 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 566
    • Points 7,250

Looking at some of the details of Avid Link, under the 'Manage Products' section theres a line that says...

'set up automatic software updates.'

Is this really going to do what it says - ie update your software (possibly in the middle of a project) without any confirmation?

I can imagine the 'Danger, Will Robinson' messages from my colleagues if I switch this on!

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 25 2019 5:05 PM In reply to

Hi Bruno M,

The "Update Apps automatically" option does just that. If there is an update available for a product or plug-in then it will perform that update(If enabled).
    If you do not want to potentially update at an inopportune time, then you can disable that option. 

Please let me know if that helped. 

Thanks

~Keith

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Jan 25 2019 6:00 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,665

Can we administratively disable aspects of Avid Link? In much of the corporate and education realm we don't want users to be mucking about with Messaging and Marketplace.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 26 2019 2:17 PM In reply to

Hi ck123,

There are a few areas that can be controled with the "Admin" options on the Preferences tab. However that mostly applies to things that are allowed on the Products tab. 
    For other areas like Messages and Marketplace, all that is needed is an internet connection. So there is not much we can do to limit things like that in the application.

I can ask the team about it however, to see if there is anything we might be able to do down the road.

I wish I had better news for you. 

Thanks

~Keith 

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 26 2019 5:44 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 566
    • Points 7,250

Keith Gerrard:
    If you do not want to potentially update at an inopportune time, then you can disable that option. 

Fair enough, but I would personally like to see the default option for it to be set to 'off', otherwise I can see a lot of less experienced users complaining on these forums, just like they do when Windows 10 does one of it's updates and breaks something.

As long as the new Avid Link program is light on resources then it might be a welcome change to App Manager, which I never particularly liked. I always worry about new bloatware which software designers seem to increasingly inflict on us for no good reason other than to try and sell more product.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 2:23 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,665

Maybe this is a "feature request" then, but how about check boxes to remove every tab except the tabs crucial to the function of product activation. Check box to disable Marketplace. Check box to disable Messages. Etc.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 2:40 PM In reply to

Hi Bruno,

The default for auto-update IS OFF by default. It is an option that must be enabled by the customer. Hope that helps. 

"Fair enough, but I would personally like to see the default option for it to be set to 'off', otherwise I can see a lot of less experienced users complaining on these forums, just like they do when Windows 10 does one of it's updates and breaks something."

Also, for ck123,

We have plans for future work that allow customization along the lines of what you mentioned. Just wanted you to know. 

Thanks

~Keith

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 11:14 PM In reply to

Totally agree with this comment!!!! In addition we completely stopped Application manager from running by renaming the containing folder. It often ate up too much cpu time. Will there be an equivalent way to disable Avid Link?

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 11:36 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,895

Dear Keith,

I really like the layout and snappiness of the new Avid Link as opposed to the Avid Appication amanger great work.

Kind regards,

Leo

Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Pro Tools 12.7 OSX Sierra 10.12.6 Computer: HP Z800 DUAL QUAD XEON X5667 3.07GHZ 96GB 2TB Caldigit HDONE Media 1TB SSD Graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 25 2019 8:30 PM In reply to

hi Keith,

I still have Application Manager eating a large portion of my CPU and even going into end the task it is back at some point  and then consuming all the resources.  How can I disable this?

frustrated, jeff

• Wed, Mar 27 2019 2:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jeff

You should be using Avid Link 2019.3 which replaces AppMan and should be in your MY Avid.  

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Mar 30 2019 9:57 AM In reply to

Wow, so far, not so good.

What happened to the App Man remembering your credentials when you deactivate your licenses to update.

I have logged in to my account and now the Avid Link shows the system ID but not the activation ID?

It say 'Unavailable"..Why..Am I missing something.

I found a text file under help/copy license info with the information. Is that how you do it or can the Avid Link remember it and auto fill, as it use to?

2013 MacPro 10.12.3 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, iMac 27 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, Anyone want to buy a useless Nitris DX then! [view my complete system specs]

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

• Sat, Mar 30 2019 1:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey Gary

Hope all is well..... did you check your MY Avid for the 2018.12.2 activation ID which you need to use the new software and Link?

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller