Latest post Thu, Aug 29 2019 2:30 PM by TrevorA. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 22 2019 11:44 AM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,185
    • Points 13,345

2018.12 bugs?

First one is an old one. AMA linking of a file that is deep within a folder structure results in a name of "/" - I suspect related to characters used in folder naming -  fixed by copying source file name from the bin column to the name column.

Second one relates to export settings. The drop down list seems to be one off - i.e. I have to select the setting below the one I want to get the correct export settings. (Haven't tried creating new user settings yet)

• Tue, Jan 22 2019 6:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,802
    • Points 225,610
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: 2018.12 bugs?

TrevorA:

Second one relates to export settings. The drop down list seems to be one off - i.e. I have to select the setting below the one I want to get the correct export settings. (Haven't tried creating new user settings yet)

Can you try new setting and report back

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jan 22 2019 7:48 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,185
    • Points 13,345

Marianna:

TrevorA:

Can you try new setting and report back

Marianna

New settings fixed it.

I think the cause was creating some Avid Media Processor settings in the previous user settings. Put all the export settings out of whack, even the default ones (e.g. Avid DS setting called up the ProToolsLE (Mbox Ref) settings, the H264 5Mbps called up the FastExport QT Pal settings etc).

I suspect I'll see the behaviour again at some point.

• Tue, Jan 22 2019 8:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,802
    • Points 225,610
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Keep me posted Trev!

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 10:53 PM In reply to

• KHerring
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 17 2012
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

Hi Marianna, I'm getting some more bugs on the 2018.12 version. I'm the AE, and my boss is having issues on his system.

System is Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6, 16 GB ram. Working off graids, doing a lot of multicam and ediitng groups.

Multiple video tracks. His sequence has been duplicating his V2 track so he has two V2 tracks. Avid is duplicating his media onto a second track. He tried to delete one of them, and it deleted both. I found a few posts about this complaint in older versions and the recommended fix was deleting MCState, which we have done. It worked the first time and it does not work anymore. I made a new project and copied the bins over. He created brand new user settings. He now has two V2 tracks and two V4 tracks.

Any titles on V2 or V4 have lost their alpha capabilities, so you can't see the clip underneath.

Here is a screenshot, pardon the photo edits: https://imgur.com/O8oZR5C

In Multicam view, he can not see or change his ninth camera slot. It's just a black box. Unless he goes into Effect Mode, and then the camera shows up.

Trying to re-use effects to speed up the edit. For example, he added a Resize effect on a clip in his sequence, set it to start at 100% and zoom into 110%. Then he dragged the finished Resize effect from the Effect Editor and into a bin, to use later. If he takes that Resize and drops it on a new clip, the effect does not animate the new clip. He has to put in all the info every time.

Thank you-

P.S. My boss is Guy Harding and he says hi!

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 3:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,802
    • Points 225,610
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kerri

I created a case and choppd itinto 4 issues.  Case # 03638999

I added myself and Guy to the case as well so we all know what the tech's find out.  I believe at least one of these is a known issue...

Hi guy!!!!!

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Jan 29 2019 12:35 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,185
    • Points 13,345

Hey Marianna

There appears to be a bug in 2018.12 (haven't downloaded 2018.12.1 yet) where the capture tool won't switch to 'log' mode. Old school I know!

EXAMPLE

Trevor

EDIT:

turns out that I was trying to switch from digitise to log from ‘live’ mode rather than ‘VTR’ mode. And Avid has never done that.

• Tue, Jan 29 2019 2:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,802
    • Points 225,610
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Trevor...

Case created - 03641336 - and reproduced.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Feb 5 2019 3:02 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,230
    • Points 14,735

Marianna:
    I created a case and choppd itinto 4 issues.  Case # 03638999

KHerring multicam bugs also here. You can update me on 03638999....

But also another thing for which I have hard times:

In a 5 cam group, I had to relink one of the AMA-clips (yes, I know, AMA is unsupported in mcam...yet some 18.12 demo clips use it); the group updated fine (thanks to 18.12 feature), but the sequence where this mcam group had already been edited before the relink now refuses further edits, I always get PMM_MISMATCH_MEDIA_WRONG_FORMAT exception.

Indeed the 'offending' clip is 50p (the project is 50i), but that was already the case before I had to relink & update the group. The updated group looks just fine and has the expected T adapter. I have of course refreshed the sequence to reflect the group update (and strangely the T adapters go away when I refresh).

'create sequence based on selection' results in the same problem, but cutting the updated group in a NEW sequence works fine...any clue ? user error or bug ? (I don't want to redo all the edits done so far in this 45 minutes sequence)

OOOOPS sorry for posting in the wrong forum (Mac vs Win) but the symptoms are the same nonetheless

MC 2018.12.7 (+Symphony)/BCC2019 12.5.2/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor+Recorder (11.4); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 8 2019 5:45 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,185
    • Points 13,345

Some more 2018.12.1 ‘observations’ having used it intensively over the last week. 

HD/50i project

Source was a mixture of F5 MXF, A7s MXF (all modified from 25P to i to avoid motion adapters) & seperate audio BWAV - all AMA linked & grouped plus QuickTime ProRes MOV and graphics as QuickTime Animation or ProRes 4444 MOV (no way to avoid motion adapters on those with alpha). 

Render set to ProRes MXF (ProRes QuickTime MOV has been our deliverable in PPro over the last couple of seasons)

So pretty much everything was linked, bar renders & mixdowns & a couple of music tracks that needed SR conversion to 48K

Edit went reasonably smoothly, no noticeable difference from using Avid MediaFiles which was great. Had a couple of segmentation faults and a persistent error when trying to mixdown or export (complaints of ‘less than one sample’ IIRC) that I had to mixdown in sections to work around. 

At the end I did a bit of a media tool, select media relatives, reverse selection, delete dance so my AvidMediafiles/MXF/1 folder could be archived (it was only a few GB). 

BUG: My BWAV source tracks were cut into the same timeline track (so host was on A1, interviewees on A2 and boom on A3). Occasionally I’d cut the wrong track from the room tone subclip in to the sequence, so I’d have A3 boom  followed by A1 host lav.

This resulted in INCORRECT source track being played back from the next clip in timeline (the A1 host clip source would actually play A3 room tone source). NB this is using *linked* BWAV source. 

Fix was to add a 1 frame dissolve.

EDIT - this is also occuring on LINKED Video & audio files. Any abutted content from different tracks, without a transition, will play incorrect track following from first instance. 

TO REPLICATE - download https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxlzv5mg and link to file (as dual mono). Edit source A1 into a fresh timeline and immediately add source A2 after. Waveform will be correct but playback will be source A1 twice ("Left, Left" instead of "Left, Right"). 

Bug/Change: Trim mode no longer allows extra tracks to be added (using trim selectors) until trim mode is deselected and reselected in smart tool. Indeed it won’t add at all if trim icons not selected in smart tool. This feels very weird & is cumbersome when asymmetric trimming.

Bug/User incompetence: How to set ‘focus point’ for trim on OS X? (i.e. I want to make v1 edit the trim focus - on PC I use control & click to make that the focus & centrepoint of trim preview)

Bug: Grouped AMA files are vertically stretched (200%, top of raster shown) when loaded (or match framed) to source monitor. I didn’t do this much (mostly dealing with selects sequences in source monitor) and it *may* have just been playback rather than still frames. I will try & add a screen grab to show this.

Bug: Export/audio mixdown aborts & complains of ‘less than one sample’ - was a rogue clip / dissolve on an audio track I think. Be great if avid could pinpoint offending portion.

Bug: Background Queue not updating (ie rendered but still showing as partially rendered) plus new renders not showing (although if I look in MXF/bg01/creating/ I can see that the file is creating)

FR: ProRes MOV & MXF export choice please (must mix down then do SAS)

FR: faster ‘quick & dirty’ MXF export choice (to then make H264s using Adobe or VideoToolshed MXFtoMP4). Dnx85 is quickest but causes Adobe to produce weird letterboxing on H264. XAVC-L 25HD takes longer but is full raster & smaller 

FR: Option to move all AvidMediafiles/MXF files for selected sequences (imports/captures/renders/mixdowns) to specific folder for archiving. Or a consolidate option that excludes linked media (that may already exist - I need to check)

• Fri, Mar 8 2019 11:37 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,230
    • Points 14,735

TrevorA:
    Bug: Grouped AMA files are vertically stretched (200%, top of raster shown) when loaded (or match framed) to source monitor. I didn’t do this much (mostly dealing with selects sequences in source monitor) and it *may* have just been playback rather than still frames. I will try & add a screen grab to show this.

TrevorA:
    Bug: Background Queue not updating (ie rendered but still showing as partially rendered) plus new renders not showing (although if I look in MXF/bg01/creating/ I can see that the file is creating)

Seen these on PC as well; others not tested..

MC 2018.12.7 (+Symphony)/BCC2019 12.5.2/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor+Recorder (11.4); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 8 2019 7:48 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,185
    • Points 13,345

TrevorA:

BUG: My BWAV source tracks were cut into the same timeline track (so host was on A1, interviewees on A2 and boom on A3). Occasionally I’d cut the wrong track from the room tone subclip in to the sequence, so I’d have A3 boom  followed by A1 host lav.

This resulted in INCORRECT source track being played back from the next clip in timeline (the A1 host clip source would actually play A3 room tone source). NB this is using *linked* BWAV source. I will edit this post & add an example of this when I get the chance.

Replicated this today on PC running 2018.5.

This is also occuring on LINKED Video & audio files. Any abutted content from different tracks, without a transition, will play incorrect track following from first instance. 

TO REPLICATE - download https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxlzv5mg and link to file (as dual mono). Edit source A1 into a fresh timeline and immediately add source A2 after. Waveform will be correct but playback will be source A1 twice ("Left, Left" instead of "Left, Right"). 

• Thu, Aug 29 2019 2:30 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,185
    • Points 13,345

This bug still apparent on 2019.6.0

TrevorA:

TrevorA:

This resulted in INCORRECT source track being played back from the next clip in timeline (the A1 host clip source would actually play A3 room tone source). NB this is using *linked* BWAV source. I will edit this post & add an example of this when I get the chance.

Replicated this today on PC running 2018.5.

This is also occuring on LINKED Video & audio files. Any abutted content from different tracks, without a transition, will play incorrect track following from first instance. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller