Latest post Mon, Jul 15 2019 3:30 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 73 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 8 2019 6:44 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 192
    • Points 2,150

Re: Background Bin Save is a disaster

I’ve tried to make the file downloadable from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/usho3i4rvmtouop/ReleasedFeatures.ftf?dl=0

Media Composer 2018.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Tue, Jul 9 2019 3:06 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

BarkinMadd:

jef:

Thanks for that, but it is not working for me.

First I went to that location - there were no files in that folder.  So I made one as best I could....

Jef

What does 'as best I could' mean, Jef?

If you were working in Windows (which I presume you are not) one of the challenges is that the file created must have the extension .ftf and yet there is no way to create such a file unless you tell Windows to show files with known extensions (otherwise a hidden extension will be .txt if the file was created via 'New Text Document'... or something like that. Does OSX have the same feature? Are you sure the full file name is 'ReleasedFeatures.ftf'

Cheers

"Best I could" means copy and paste where possible.  Attention to detail when typeing file name and extension.  And double checking where I placed it.

OSX will let create a file extension of any name.  It might suggest you not change an extension but will not prevent you from doing so.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jul 9 2019 3:08 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

Thomas P ColorGradingTV:

Just Copy the same file for Windows at Mac to 'Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Support'. And everything runs well. So it does with us. If not, than the file itself is wrong.

How are you confirming that, in fact, Background Bin Save has been disabled?

Thanks,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Jul 9 2019 3:44 AM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 192
    • Points 2,150

From the linked readme:

3. Restart Media Composer.

4. To verify that the toggle has been turned on in the editor:

a. Start Media Composer and open the Project window.

b. Check that three asterisks appear at the top of the window. This indicates that a toggle is turned on.

c. Click the Info button and scroll down to the Feature Toggle Info section. The [...] feature should be displayed …

Media Composer 2018.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Tue, Jul 9 2019 10:15 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

knejmann:

From the linked readme:

3. Restart Media Composer.

4. To verify that the toggle has been turned on in the editor:

a. Start Media Composer and open the Project window.

b. Check that three asterisks appear at the top of the window. This indicates that a toggle is turned on.

c. Click the Info button and scroll down to the Feature Toggle Info section. The [...] feature should be displayed …

I did read all those when you posted them before.  (And thanks again!)

I am getting neither the response in b. or c. which aligns with my poking around the console and getting the feeling that, in fact, the feature has NOT been disabled.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Jul 9 2019 10:24 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

Ok, I noticed my first real negative experience with this new feature. Up until now I have just been trying to get it turned off automatically so I don't have to think about it.

Today, I linked a clip into an empty bin, I used Auto sequence to make a sequence from it.  Almost immediately I closed the bin.  By accident.  I opened the bin.  There was no Auto sequence!!!

I have been able to repro this action and result.

In the past, anytime a bin was closed, a save was forced.  While that could take sometime, it worked.  I trusted it.

This new feature is not trustworthy.

I went into the console and disabled the feature and repeated my test with new clips.  This time it worked as I expected it to.

Now that the potential damage that can be done has been clearly illustrated to me I will really try to get this disabling script working.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Wed, Jul 10 2019 7:35 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 23 2014
    • Cologne
    • Posts 52
    • Points 715

THX! How is the verification under Avid MC 2019.6? 

There is noc Info-Window anymore and also the *** are not visible as the whole style has changed.

@Jef I could not reproduce the error with Avid MC 2018.5 and Win7 Pro.

I would open a support ticket for it....

Doing regular manual saves are still the only way to be sure your work is secure and its a trick old school editors won't drop. [view my complete system specs]

Thomas Poerschke, Editor & Colorist

ColorGrading.TV @ MMC Studios Köln, Am Coloneum 1, 50829 Cologne, Germany
    web: www.colorgrading.tv

• Wed, Jul 10 2019 4:56 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,637
    • Points 46,705
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The easiest way to verify that the background save is disabled (PC and Mac) is to open the command console and issue the command BackgroundBinSave and hit enter. If it was disabled, it will say it was disabled and is now enabled. If it was enabled, it will say it was enabled and is now disabled.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Jul 10 2019 9:12 PM In reply to

DStone:

The easiest way to verify that the background save is disabled (PC and Mac) is to open the command console and issue the command BackgroundBinSave and hit enter. If it was disabled, it will say it was disabled and is now enabled. If it was enabled, it will say it was enabled and is now disabled.

Thanks for that info.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2019 12:06 PM In reply to

Does anybody know, where to find the "Info"-bottom in the 2019.6 layout?

Doing regular manual saves are still the only way to be sure your work is secure and its a trick old school editors won't drop. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2019 2:42 PM In reply to

Try MC’s Help Menu > About Media Composer

and there is also an Inspector tool now.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2019 3:04 PM In reply to

Thats fine! I have found it!

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 3:23 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

knejmann:

I’ve tried to make the file downloadable from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/usho3i4rvmtouop/ReleasedFeatures.ftf?dl=0

Well, good update here!  I finally had the time to download the file you kindly made for us and to install it.

SUCCESS!

It seems that when I copied and pasted from the forum page to a file, it was using some hidden codes that were rendering the file useless.  When I used your downloaded version, it works as advertised.

So big thanks!

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 3:30 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    I'm going to update his system to Nexis client 19.6 and MC 2018.12.6 but is anybody aware if this problem has been fixed?

I spoke last week with a support rep. and she told me this should indeed be fixed in MC 2018.12.5 and 6 in combination with Nexis client 19.2.2 and up, preferred using the latest Nexis client 2019.6.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

Page 5 of 5 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller