Latest post Fri, Jan 11 2019 8:18 PM by Kevin Klimek. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 10 2019 2:33 PM

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 9 2012
    • Posts 40
    • Points 495

Deinterlacing

Hello,

I’m having a problem with an interlaced source material. I was asked to capture this 25i mini dv tapes. I opened a 25i pal project. I captured the footage and than I did a same as source export. I know for sure that the client need a quick time movie, he needs a file to use in a 25p project. My same as source is fine, but when I covert it to pro res (I don’t know if my client wants to use avid) I can see the interlaced stripes on my video. 

I’m not used to do workflows for this old tapes , can someone give me and advice? I would like to avoid those stripes 

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 4:46 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,345
    • Points 16,530

Re: Deinterlacing

The SAS files should be bit for bit identical to what was on the original tape.  In most cases, that is the best thing for your client to use.

Seeing the interlaced stripes can be due to an error in the conversion, an error in deinterlacing, an error in the playback viewer, or even (as imy case) due to a deliberate choice to NOT delinterlace playback so that I can see whether the source is interlaced or not.

ProRes is perfectly capable of maintaing a properly playing interlaced image, by the way.  But it's not clear why you converted to it.

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 4:55 PM In reply to

I assume you mean you are seeing the interlaced fields on an progressive monitor. That's normal for interlaced footage.

If you are trying to avoid that, you'd have to deinterlace and make progressive files.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 5:33 PM In reply to

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 9 2012
    • Posts 40
    • Points 495

yes i'm not sure what is the correct way to do it

• Fri, Jan 11 2019 8:18 PM In reply to

I'm pretty sure this is in all versions of software, and not just Symphony...

If you have an interlaced clip in a progrssive timeline, you'll see a temporal adapter on it. Select the clip and open the Motion Effect Editor. Promote the effect.

In the main Motion Effect Editor window, change the Source to Interlaced (Output will default to your project type, Progressive). Check Adaptive Deinterlace Source. The effect will no longer be real-time and will have to be rendered.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller