Latest post Wed, Apr 3 2019 12:36 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 9 2019 4:17 PM

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 35
    • Points 415

G-RAID not seen as media drive (permissions OK on finder)

A real head-scratcher. I have a 32TB G-Tech Shuttle RAID that's formatted Mac OS Extended, attached by TB3. Off and on the last month or so I've had trouble writing to the drive, but after messing with permissions the finder can now read and write to that drive with no issues.

The problem is Avid MC cannot see it as a valid target for importing media or updating databases. It doesn't even show up as a greyed-out choice in Media Creation settings (whereas the system drive does). Drive filtering is only set to exlude the system drive. Yet it can read existing media on that drive fine for playback.

Tried a new user and trashing MCState, no dice.

Mac OS 10.14.2

MC 2018.12.0

iMac is the newest model right before last fall's updates.

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 8:20 PM In reply to

Re: G-RAID not seen as media drive (permissions OK on finder)

This may be obvious, but you do have the Avid MediaFiles folder with the MXF folder within on it, right?

Hackintosh OC'd 4.9 GHz i7-7700k, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, SSD, 8x Fibre to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.3. Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 9 2019 9:26 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 66
    • Points 895

Okay, some maybe-stupid questions:

1) The drive really is Mac OS EXtended, not EXFat, right? Because the behaviour reminds me of some of the troubles one might have with an ExFat-drive.

2) When you "messed" with permissions, how exactly did you mess? Did you change permissions of the MediaFiles-folder only or did you apply all changes to the subfolders? Did you change the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" setting too? Do you have write-permission on the msmXXXX-files?

3) Did you give disk utility (check/repair) a try?

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:36 PM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 415

Yes. The media reads from the drive fine, I just can't import anything to it.

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:44 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 66
    • Points 895

Yep, understood that. :) That's why my questions are all about write-related things.

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:53 PM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 415

Yes, Mac OS Extended. Behaves fine at the finder level, I can copy files to the drive with no issues.

I gave liberal read-write permission at the root level, and also checked the various media folders, asking it to apply to the subfolders in every case. 

Yes, gave disk utility a try. I also simplified the drive name to be just G_RAID in case the spaces were confusing Media Composer.

HERE'S AN UPDATE: Curious to find out if MC can see the drive, I went to the INFO-->HARDWARE tab of the project window. The troublesome media drive was listed there. All of a sudden, media databases that hadn't been recreating started recreating. I wonder if going to that tab somehow refreshed MC's list of available drives.

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 12:38 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 66
    • Points 895

Uh, wow, interesting. Maybe a little suspicious as well. ;) Never heard about the hardware-info that it would initialize anything like that. Hope it stays functional. If it was my drive I would probably reformat it at the next opportunity... just in case. Fingers crossed for you that it was just some kind of hiccup.

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:32 AM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 9 2018
    • Posts 15
    • Points 195

Just a thought.

What happens if you restart Avid, then load your project without any bins open? (hold option key to keep bins closed)

Now check to see if the drive is visible to media creation.

I think you'll find something in one of your bins is causing Media Composer to ignore your drive. As soon as that bin is opened you'll lose the ability to write to the drive.

There are a few threads aobut this kicking about on this topic...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/179346.aspx

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 5:47 PM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 415

As a follow up I'm pretty sure at this point there is an issue with BitDefender anti-virus for mac. Disabling that, all my permissions issues went away ... until I get a virus, of course ;-) . I'm in touch with the BD people but who knows if they'll acknowledge it.

Discovered this when I created a test user account for the mac and fast-switched into that while the normal user was still active, and BD tossed up a message and those trouble-maker drives weren't even mounting—BD installs for all users. It made me suspicious of BD being the culprit, and so I tried disabling it.

So... nothing to do with avid MC, and so I was wrong about the hardware tool, just a fluke appararently, that that seeme dto be a solution.

• Tue, Apr 2 2019 7:14 PM In reply to

• Jerry Levine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 29 2012
    • Bay Harbor islands, Florida
    • Posts 56
    • Points 685

I also have that Bitdefender software and the same problem so I agree it is suspect, especially since it flagged Avid as a suspect developer when i relaunched MC, even though I had already gievn Avid admin permission earlier today through Bitdefender  ... but I did find a workaround solution to the intermittent hard drive disappearances.

Here's how:  I quit Media Composer and added another Thunderbolt drive to the second port on my Macbook pro. That worked . . . now both drives were visibale and available for transcoding. I relaunched MC again and the drives vanished again from the transcode box's left side. I removed one drive and now I could transcode again to that drive.

By removing and adding drives besides the originally mounted drive containing my project media, I was able to at least get the Media Composer software to somehow cycle through and provide different options for transcoding - sometimes one of my two attached drives, sometimes both, sometimes none, like throwing dice. Each time after quitting MC and adding another drive or removing one I found I could transcode again (or not). It's not great, but it worked for me as a temporary workaround every time I tried it. This solution allowed me to transcode my files while working overseas on a deadline at 2:30am, so I'm passing it along!

8.4.0 / 10.10.3 / 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro (32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3) [view my complete system specs]

- Jerry in Miami

• Wed, Apr 3 2019 10:50 AM In reply to

There are a couple of threads on this. Here's one (I hope):

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/179346/857873.aspx#857873

Very annoying!

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Wed, Apr 3 2019 12:36 PM In reply to

Try purging your AMA database before opening MC.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller