Latest post Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:32 AM by radrattus. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 9 2019 4:17 PM

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 19
    • Points 225

G-RAID not seen as media drive (permissions OK on finder)

A real head-scratcher. I have a 32TB G-Tech Shuttle RAID that's formatted Mac OS Extended, attached by TB3. Off and on the last month or so I've had trouble writing to the drive, but after messing with permissions the finder can now read and write to that drive with no issues.

The problem is Avid MC cannot see it as a valid target for importing media or updating databases. It doesn't even show up as a greyed-out choice in Media Creation settings (whereas the system drive does). Drive filtering is only set to exlude the system drive. Yet it can read existing media on that drive fine for playback.

Tried a new user and trashing MCState, no dice.

Mac OS 10.14.2

MC 2018.12.0

iMac is the newest model right before last fall's updates.

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 8:20 PM In reply to

Re: G-RAID not seen as media drive (permissions OK on finder)

This may be obvious, but you do have the Avid MediaFiles folder with the MXF folder within on it, right?

Hackintosh OC'd 4.2 i7-1070 9GB-32 GB RAM-Solid State Boot-8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.13.4 Symphony 2018.9.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 9 2019 9:26 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Posts 52
    • Points 695

Okay, some maybe-stupid questions:

1) The drive really is Mac OS EXtended, not EXFat, right? Because the behaviour reminds me of some of the troubles one might have with an ExFat-drive.

2) When you "messed" with permissions, how exactly did you mess? Did you change permissions of the MediaFiles-folder only or did you apply all changes to the subfolders? Did you change the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" setting too? Do you have write-permission on the msmXXXX-files?

3) Did you give disk utility (check/repair) a try?

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:36 PM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 225

Yes. The media reads from the drive fine, I just can't import anything to it.

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:44 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 52
    • Points 695

Yep, understood that. :) That's why my questions are all about write-related things.

• Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:53 PM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 19
    • Points 225

Yes, Mac OS Extended. Behaves fine at the finder level, I can copy files to the drive with no issues.

I gave liberal read-write permission at the root level, and also checked the various media folders, asking it to apply to the subfolders in every case. 

Yes, gave disk utility a try. I also simplified the drive name to be just G_RAID in case the spaces were confusing Media Composer.

HERE'S AN UPDATE: Curious to find out if MC can see the drive, I went to the INFO-->HARDWARE tab of the project window. The troublesome media drive was listed there. All of a sudden, media databases that hadn't been recreating started recreating. I wonder if going to that tab somehow refreshed MC's list of available drives.

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 12:38 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 52
    • Points 695

Uh, wow, interesting. Maybe a little suspicious as well. ;) Never heard about the hardware-info that it would initialize anything like that. Hope it stays functional. If it was my drive I would probably reformat it at the next opportunity... just in case. Fingers crossed for you that it was just some kind of hiccup.

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:32 AM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 9 2018
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Just a thought.

What happens if you restart Avid, then load your project without any bins open? (hold option key to keep bins closed)

Now check to see if the drive is visible to media creation.

I think you'll find something in one of your bins is causing Media Composer to ignore your drive. As soon as that bin is opened you'll lose the ability to write to the drive.

There are a few threads aobut this kicking about on this topic...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/179346.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller