Latest post Fri, Jan 11 2019 4:23 PM by Rich Laws. 19 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 10 2019 7:56 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 87
    • Points 835

Re: Questions about AirSpeed clips being left "open" in mob NOT complete state....

Hi Charlie,

More data - the client let us have access again to gather some info.

We used Interplay Access to search for clips longer than 6 hours.  We found 9 total long created between November and today.  Presumably, these were all record to the max.

OF those nine, eight were 6 hours and 2 minutes and one was 13 hours and two minutes.  ALL 9 clips show OMM_MOB_COMPLETE == 0 and the clip icon on Access has the upper right corner clipped (I assume this shows this state???)   The track info lengths using Get/Set Properties shows corresponding lengths to the duration field.

We then searched for shorter than 6 hours clips on their system (filtering by metadata to limit by AirSpeed clips).   All of these are _OMM_MOB_COMPLETE == 1 and have a normal clip icon.  So it looks like normal (user???) stop ended up with closed clips while record to the max does not?   We can get access for a session to their system if you need to check anything.

Have a good evening.

Rich

• Thu, Jan 10 2019 8:02 PM In reply to

• charlie_s
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 1 2017
    • Posts 16
    • Points 205
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: Questions about AirSpeed clips being left "open" in mob NOT complete state....

Thanks Rich. This is great information.

We will be investigating this over the next few days.

This may or may not matter - do you know how these recordings are being started? For example, using AirSpeed Remote Console, Interplay Capture, etc.?

• Fri, Jan 11 2019 3:17 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 87
    • Points 835

Hi Charlie,

I received feedback from the customer about how AS is triggered:

"They are captured from Airspeed Remote Console. Even the long capture."

Can I ask a couple of operations questions?  We are trying to be able to identify clips marked as open but really complete. 

What options for check-in do users have while a clip is growing?  (eg. "chunk time")

Q1) Can clips grow with no check in at all (eg. 6 hours of recording and nothing shows in Interplay until done)

Q2) If clips always grow and chunk - what is the longest duration between check-ins?  (eg 1 minute, 10 minutes)

My thoughts are that we can look at the modification (last check-in) date of a clip marked as open.  If the delta between "now" and that last modification time is longer than the max chunk time - then the clips are likely closed.   We also can look at the access state of the media files - if they are open for write by another process - we can assume clip is still growing.  We want to do this in a snapshot view of the asset - not monitor it continuously...  Thoughts?

Rich

• Fri, Jan 11 2019 3:31 PM In reply to

• charlie_s
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 1 2017
    • Posts 16
    • Points 205
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Hi Rich,

Interesting that the recordings are started by Remote Console. The maximum recording time should therefore be 6 hours, 0 minutes. I don't think that matters though, for what you are looking for. I was just curious.

A1) There is not a way to defer the check-in.

A2) Typically the first check-in will take place within 2 minutes of the start of transfer (and the transfer usually starts within 15 - 30 seconds of record start). After that, check-ins are 8 to 9 minutes apart. (Usually closer to 9 minutes.)

I also agree with your assessment about the 'opened for write'. Only the AirSpeed Transfer Manager will open these files for write, and they are written just once. Never re-opened for append, etc. Once the clip is no longer opened for write, it is a finished clip, done growing.

I think this is a better, more reliable approach than looking at the flags in the AAF file. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Charlie

• Fri, Jan 11 2019 4:23 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 87
    • Points 835

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for providing those details about check-in frequency and options (apologies for not knowing enough about that workflow!!!)   I agree that checking the media files if a clip is marked as "open" is probably the safest mechanism to skip growing assets.  I too worried about the timing and accuracy of trying to use modification dates as a filter.

We should be good with that approach.   Please let us know if you determine that there is some anomaly at this client or in general leaving clips marked as open.  I'd be curious to know.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Rich

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller