Latest post Mon, Jan 7 2019 8:47 PM by CinéMatica. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 7 2019 8:47 PM

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,145

Graphics card for refurbished workstation

With the coming of Media Composer 2018.12 my Mac Pro 4.1 (early 2009) became as good as obsolete. 2018.12 is not qualified on my 10 year old workstation with the OS I am running right now. I cannot upgrade the Mac OS anymore via a normal way, and have been suggested to flash the firmware and upgrade my processors. All nice and cool, but I do not want to invest any cent in this piece of hardware anymore. I have had it with Apple during these 10 years.

So, I decided to jump back to trusty old Windows. Instead of buying one of the actual brand-new HP workstations I am thinking of getting a refurbished HP Z840, that is in an as good as new condition. The reason for this is, that I still want to use my Avid Nitris DX, that is not supported with the latest PCIe cards in those newer machines. The only point that is not so clear to me is which graphics card I should choose.

I am offered the following:

An older (used) Nvidia Quadro K6000 12 GB GDDR5 (one or maybe two of them?) for about $616 a piece.

Or a newer (brand-new) and more current Nvidia Quadro P5000 16 GB GDDR5 for $1565.

Which one would you choose?

I am also offered to add a Nvidia Tesla K40 12GB accelerator. Is this card any good to me when using Boris FX, encoding software like Sorenson Squeeze or Adobe Media Encoder? I Think Avid itself is not going to get much out of it. Or does it?

Thank you very much for all your input!

Greetings,

Ivan

Avid Media Composer 2018.10.0.49715.0 | Avid Symphony Option | Avid ScriptSync 2.0 | Avid PhraseFind 2.0 | Avid Pro Tools 11.3.1.370 | Avid Application... [view my complete system specs]

Yes, I have installed the latest DX driver.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller