Latest post Fri, Mar 22 2019 8:55 AM by adamsonn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 7 2019 5:13 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,215
    • Points 218,210
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Sorenson Squeeze Update | Avid 1.7.19

Due to the discontinuation of Sorenson Squeeze by Sorenson, Avid can no longer offer Sorenson Squeeze either for purchase or as part of a Media Composer | Subscription or Production Pack bundle.

Customers who have purchased Sorenson Squeeze can continue to use it while the license is valid.

Customers who have purchased the Production Pack can continue to use Sorenson Squeeze while the license is still valid. They will not receive any software updates to Squeeze, however, and cannot receive support from Avid on issues related to Squeeze.

Customers who have a Media Composer subscription that includes Sorenson Squeeze can continue to use it until January 31st, or the next time they renew their subscription in 2019, whichever comes first, at which time it will be disabled (will cease to run) and will be removed from their Avid Master Accounts.

For further questions, please refer to this FAQ

FAQ:

What’s happening to Sorenson Squeeze?

Due to the discontinuation of Sorenson Squeeze by Sorenson, Avid can no longer offer Sorenson Squeeze either for purchase or as part of a Media Composer | Subscription or Production Pack bundle.

Customers who have purchased Sorenson Squeeze can continue to use it while the license is valid.

Customers who have purchased the Production Pack can continue to use Sorenson Squeeze while the license is still valid. They will not receive any software updates to Squeeze, however, and no support from Avid will be available on issues relating to Sorenson Squeeze.

Customers who have a Media Composer subscription that includes Sorenson Squeeze can continue to use it until January 31, 2019, or the next time they renew their subscription in 2019, whichever comes first, at which time it will be disabled (will cease to run) and will be removed from their Avid Master Accounts.

Why is this happening?

Earlier this year, Sorenson Media announced that Squeeze was no longer part of their portfolio and ceased all licensing, development and support of that product line. Avid is therefore no longer able to sell or support the product.

Can I still get help with issues?

Customers who require support for Squeeze should refer to the Sorenson Media website. Avid cannot provide any support for issues related to Squeeze.

When will I stop being able to use Squeeze as part of my Media Composer subscription?

Sorenson Squeeze installers will be removed from accounts on January 31st. Starting January 1st, the next time a subscription license is reactivated – either as part of an annual renewal, a monthly payment, or a monthly “call home,” – Squeeze will stop running as part of a subscription license.

What about an alternative software solution?

Avid will not be replacing Squeeze with an alternative software option.

Questions, let me know

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jan 7 2019 8:58 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,025

Re: Sorenson Squeeze Update | Avid 1.7.19

Just wondering - I downloaded 11.1.0 a while back - did not need a serial number since it used the older version.

This is till usable?  Correct.   Also since I still have the installer - should I need to reinstall will that work?

Thanks

Larry

Symphony 2018.12 - Win 10 pro, Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,64gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media, BM Intensity... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 8 2019 5:57 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,338
    • Points 60,280
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

While the current version (Media Composer 2018.12) does, I don't want to speculate on whether Avid will continue to provide an internal link in future versions. But, you can always use Sorenson Squeeze as a stand-alone, separately licensed  product...apart from Media Composer.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 8 2019 6:15 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,025

OK thanks  Been using a standalone version - time will tell its usefullness.  Now all is good.

Symphony 2018.12 - Win 10 pro, Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,64gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media, BM Intensity... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 11 2019 12:33 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 580
    • Points 7,700

Marianna:

Why is this happening?

Earlier this year, Sorenson Media announced that Squeeze was no longer part of their portfolio and ceased all licensing, development and support of that product line. Avid is therefore no longer able to sell or support the product.

Seems like a golden (literally) opportunity for Avid.  There are now no encode / transcode packages left except Adobe Media Encoder and a handful of GNU / trial-ware / shareware products that usually specialize in one or two codecs / formats. 

Imagine "Avid Media Maker" or some other more catchy and descriptive title that would take the place of the old Canopus / Grass Valley Pro Coder, Sorenson Squeeze or Adobe Media Encoder (which is not really a decent substitute for Squeeze), works on iOS / Windows at least, does not require Media Composer or ProTools to work, but covers all the main codecs from Web, SD, HD, UHD, 4K with profiles to fit Web, Mobile, Desktop and Broadcast.  But at a reasonable price (somewhere between the old Sorenson Studio Pro and "non-pro" version.  It should also have an SDK so you can plug-in codec support packages that may be proprietary and limited use which Avid should not be expected to include in its base transcode-encode product's input and / or output formats.

It could produce a more steady cash flow.  (Think of Apple: it was the low-cost iPod that dragged the company from the brink of extinction and provided the cash to develope the higher end products it now sports in its line-up.)  And it might also be a way to introduce more of the you-tubers / social media videographers to the Avid product line.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Sun, Feb 17 2019 4:41 PM In reply to

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Is Avid recommending a path / workflow for output? With Sorenson Squeeze gone and AME no longer supporting Quicktime Reference files, the workflow for exporting shows & videos got a lot worse. Certainly Avid cares about their customers having a great workflow and customer expereince, end-to-end, right?

- Avid Media Composer - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design DeckLink... [view my complete system specs]

Walter Lowe
    Blackburst Entertainment
    wlowe@blackburst.net
    http://blackburstentertainment.com

• Tue, Mar 12 2019 5:22 PM In reply to

• F.C.Vdo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 20 2015
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Hello Adman. Does AVID offer any suggestions for a replacement encoding program for Media Composer users to replace Squeeze? I do a fair amount of mp4 encoding for current clients and Squeeze has been my "go-to" tool for many years.

• Tue, Mar 12 2019 5:52 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 730
    • Points 11,135

Yeah, it seems odd that Avid would let Squeeze go out of business, and not offer to buy it.  Until they rectify this, it makes buying a new Avid license a pretty tough sell for new users.  

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Tue, Mar 12 2019 6:42 PM In reply to

Atomike:
    Yeah, it seems odd that Avid would let Squeeze go out of business, and not offer to buy it. 

Per Wiki

"The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October 2018, and was acquired at auction by Nielsen in February 2019 for $11.25 million"

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 12 2019 7:20 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,569
    • Points 45,820
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

F.C.Vdo:
    Does AVID offer any suggestions for a replacement encoding program for Media Composer users to replace Squeeze?
    While Avid is not making any suggestions, there are several routes you can use.

First, there's TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works from Pegasys Inc. It's the most direct replacement for Squeeze that I can think of. Very full featured. Unfortunately, the one format that they don't support with V6 is MXF OP1A files with DNxHD or DNxHR.

Next is Intertake (formerly Footage Studio) from Acrovid. Not as full featured as TVMW, but it also has a built-in noise reduction component that works prettty well (though to be honest, Neat Video is better). Intertake is what I'm currently using.

Then there's always FFmpeg from FFmpeg.org. This is open source freeware. The products from HDCinematics are really a nice GUI for FFmpeg. FFmpeg is also the easiest program to use to rewrap video from one container format into another. I actually use this one a lot.  FFmpeg is command line oriented; not the simplest thing in the world to use but you can learn it.

Hope this helps.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Mar 22 2019 8:55 AM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 679
    • Points 10,100

And there is my go to tool for all my jobs recently completed in the last few years- based on handbrake but very easy to use with consistently excellent results  - vidcoder 

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller