Latest post Mon, Sep 9 2019 4:51 PM by derDoyle. 19 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 26 2019 11:35 AM In reply to

Re: Omfi media files won’t relink no matter what

Hi, that means there will never be a soution for this bug?

• Fri, Jul 26 2019 12:11 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,475

For my last project I was asked to work with OMFI audio files. It was an episode of a movie series which had started with OMFI a few years years ago and had kept it this way ever since. The AE created the OMFIs with MC 8.9.3. Those files had no issues in the further process. At the same time I worked with MC 2018.12.5 (MacOS 10.14.3), media creation set to OMFI. But (fortunately) very soon I realized that any OMFI media that I had created became unaccessible as soon as it was moved from the original drive to any other drive. (My local drives, the AE's drives and the NEXIS at the post facility.) And that was irreversible. Copying it back to its original drive wouldn't bring it back online. Read/write-permissions had been checked thoroughly, databases rebuilt, databases drag-imported to bins etc. but all to no avail.

Ultimately we kept the production sound as OMFI as the sound facility had asked for, but switched back to MXF for anything created inside MC.

I never dug any deeper into this but it seems - and other threads insinuate that too - as if there might be an issue regarding OMFI and recent MC versions.

As long as OMFI can not only be read but also be created in MC, it's not really a legacy format yet, is it?

• Fri, Jul 26 2019 2:46 PM In reply to

Legacy as few use it anymore.

I considr SD content legacy but have a client that still works in SD. To me its still a legacy format to them its just TV.

But they find things harder as support for their workflows reduces.

As mentioned OMFI folder locations are very specific so you can't move them around as you would MXF.

And no I don't imagine it will get far on any list as a bug to fix. But the best way is to report it and see.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Aug 20 2019 12:54 PM In reply to

• J
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 19 2010
    • Posts 70
    • Points 900

Hi,

Thank you for your answers...

How to remount this bug and have possible solutions.

Why do we still have the possibility to use the OMFIs if we can not use them together?....

• Mon, Sep 9 2019 4:51 PM In reply to

• derDoyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2015
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,360

Hello,

I would like to continue this thread because we have a similiar issue right now. We are getting MediaFiles from an external client on a daily base. They are working with OMF. I asked them why and the answer was: "Because we alwasy did".

When we get the Files and the bins, the masterclips are all offline.

We tried relinking in every possible way but there is no chance.

The OMFI MediaFiles folder is getting scanned by avid, so there is no problem.

When we drop the msmMMOB to the bin we get the masterclips, all linked to the original drive but we have no chance to link them to our drive. Even unlink doesn't work.

Our client creates them on 2019.6 and we are working with 2019.7 and 2018.12.6.

Even the MediaTool does not see the files even if they're scanned.

After long talking we convinced them to work with MXF but for them we are the idiots at first.

It would be nice, if this issue could be investigated, legacy or not, it's still an option to chose.

Doyle

Clients: MacPro6.1 (2013 "Trashcan"), 3,5GHz 6-Core, 16GB (1866) RAM, AMD FirePro D500, 256GB SSD, macOS 10.13.6, Avid MediaComposer 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]

Passionate In-House Avid Support

Admin of the German Avid Community on Facebook

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller