Latest post Mon, Jan 7 2019 7:12 PM by origin2. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 6 2019 9:13 PM

• origin2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 1 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Alexa Mini ProRes 4444 Workflow, AMA-link okay...?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a short film project which we've got footages from Alexa Mini (ProRes4444 mov) and GH5 (10bit H.264 mov) at the same time, and it will be edited together.

The GH5 part seems straight forward: as the 2018.12 version of MC can directly AMA-link the 10bit files through generic AMA plug-in, the issue I'm facing is the ProRes 4444 part from Alexa Mini.

In all official workflow tutorial from Avid or on this forum, it seems that transcoding in DaVinci Resolve into DNxHD proxy MXF then dropping into MC and merge the Alexa-generated sidebar ALE files are recommended, instead of AMA-linking the ProRes QT files. But with the method from Michael Phillips' wonderful tutorial on merging metatdata from the ALE files http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=247 I find that it is possible to "merge" the Alexa's ALE metadata with the AMA-linked MOVs.

Is there anything that I missed therefore generally AMA-linking Alexa MOVs are discouraged? Or ss this okay to do for a quick editing session since we're in a rush to assemble a rough cut to make sure how many stuff we have to reshoot before the local holidays?

Any opinion is appreciated and many many sincere thanks.

-Albert

• Mon, Jan 7 2019 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: Alexa Mini ProRes 4444 Workflow, AMA-link okay...?

If you have an ALE already, then no need to make proxies first in Resolve, AMA link, merge ALE from camera, then transcode as needed.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 7 2019 7:12 PM In reply to

• origin2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 1 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Alexa Mini ProRes 4444 Workflow, AMA-link okay...?

Hi Job,

Thanks for the reply!

Had tried to do so, and it seems to be working fine!
    The merge ALE trick really worked like a magic trick.

-Albert

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller