Latest post Fri, Jan 25 2019 2:35 AM by Telegram!. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 4 2019 8:59 PM

2018.12 New Grouping sequence feature not quite working.

Hello,

I have a sequence. This sequence includes grouped clips and 4 Video tracks.   I want to group this entire sequence into a new group.  Can I do this?  What's happening is the new group is made and the 4 video tracks are included, but they are not showing the correct selection (from the original group) that appeared in the original sequence.  Does this make any sense?  

thank you for your help.

Dan

2018 Mac Mini. 3.2 Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 4 2019 9:41 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

Re: 2018.12 New Grouping sequence feature not quite working.

You could try 'commit multicam edits' on the sequence before you create the new group. I'm just guessing, but I don't think the new features are intendented to make a new group from existing groups. 

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2019.9 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 4:25 PM In reply to

I tried what you described on my PC version and got similar results. I suspect "Create Groups" is intended for first-pass at Grouping.

The software does allow re-editing its timeline-created "MultiCam Group" so in a case like you described, I guess we would need to take steps to deal with preserving access to any unused banks from a existing Group clip aleady used in a timeline Sequence. Good question...for engineers.

This is such a major release, with possibilities for new workflows--- I hope the web team gets around to producing extra clarification, streaming vids to show off these features to the user base.... both Mac and PC .

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 7 2019 9:17 PM In reply to

You could try 'commit multicam edits' on the sequence before you create the new group. I'm just guessing, but I don't think the new features are intendented to make a new group from existing groups.

Thank you! I actually tried that today and got an immediate Avid crash. :-/   Still, when I get that working, it just might to the trick.

2018 Mac Mini. 3.2 Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 7 2019 9:20 PM In reply to

Telegram!:

I tried what you described on my PC version and got similar results. I suspect "Create Groups" is intended for first-pass at Grouping.

The software does allow re-editing its timeline-created "MultiCam Group" so in a case like you described, I guess we would need to take steps to deal with preserving access to any unused banks from a existing Group clip aleady used in a timeline Sequence. Good question...for engineers.

This is such a major release, with possibilities for new workflows--- I hope the web team gets around to producing extra clarification, streaming vids to show off these features to the user base.... both Mac and PC .

Thank you for trying it on your end.  That sounds right. I'd love tutorials on just how best to use the new features.  I've already told my post team so hopefully they're diggin into it on their end.

• Wed, Jan 23 2019 4:01 PM In reply to

Today, selecting "commit multicam edits" triggered an immediate crash in MC 2018.12.  Twice, no less.  Any way to overcome this?  I have a 7 minute video that I desperately need to crank out this morning, but I really need to commit the multicam to get it out to color.  What can I do about this?  Need help fast. Anyone experienced this?

Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Intel i9 9900K desktop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM BlackMagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor Nvidia RTX2080 display card [view my complete system specs]

Jason Spencer, Director/DP/Editor digitallunchbox.com

• Wed, Jan 23 2019 4:52 PM In reply to

wjasonspencer:

Today, selecting "commit multicam edits" triggered an immediate crash in MC 2018.12.  Twice, no less.  Any way to overcome this?  I have a 7 minute video that I desperately need to crank out this morning, but I really need to commit the multicam to get it out to color.  What can I do about this?  Need help fast. Anyone experienced this?

Would you consider duplicating your Sequence and doing a series of MatchFrames back to camera masterclip, then Replace Edit? Would that do the same as Commit?  If your Sequence has stretches with no “pull-ups” etc., then Gang could help speed the process.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 24 2019 8:30 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

When you match frame a group clip in a sequence, the group clip will be loaded in the source monitor. For those who don't know, you can hit match frame a second time, and the source clip will be loaded in the source monitor. This will make it easy (thought tedious) to replace the group clips.

An alternate option is to try exporting an EDL or AAF of your sequence and re-importing it. I suspect that might 'filter out' the group clips and give you just the original source clips.

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2019.9 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 9:49 PM In reply to

Sure you can, but manually replacing group clips with source media in a 7 minute video with dozens, maybe a hundred or more clips isn't really practical or efficient.  Hopefully Avid gets this fixed soon.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Intel i9 9900K desktop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM BlackMagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor Nvidia RTX2080 display card [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jan 24 2019 10:39 PM In reply to

wjasonspencer:

Sure you can, but manually replacing group clips with source media in a 7 minute video with dozens, maybe a hundred or more clips isn't really practical or efficient.  Hopefully Avid gets this fixed soon.

Yes, agreed, but the earlier post sounded very time-sensitive, desperate, hence the wacky wonderful workawounds suggested... what did you wind up doing? 

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 2:03 AM In reply to

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 2:35 AM In reply to

wjasonspencer:

Thanks, good luck. Yikes.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller