Latest post Thu, Jan 17 2019 5:11 PM by Rich Laws. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 2 2019 4:18 PM

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 87
    • Points 835

AMT2 OpenMxfFile with Interplay MAM 5.9.5.10037 created DNxHD media

Hello,

I thought I'd ask an "expected compatibility" question between an Avid product and SDK here before opening a case formally...  If this is NOT expected to work I will not bother opening a formal case.  Maybe someone else has encountered this and has a suggestion.  I am not sure if it would be considered an Interplay MAM issue or AMT2 issue.

A mutual client in Albania is having problems with one of our AMT2 based products being used to add a new format to existing Interplay clips created with the Interplay MAM product.  (long standing product) 

The issue seems limited to DNxHD media created by this product - MPEG2 (D10) clips created with same product/version are working with NO issues.  I believe it might be a metadata issue and not a codec issue.  Some descriptor items differ for the video.  Maybe AMT2 is not expected to work.  AMT3 may not be a suitable solution since it is unclear whether "avid to avid" with AMT3 is supported or not officially.

Details: DNxHD media created with Interplay MAM 5.9.5.10037  is failing (VCID 1238  - 1920x1080p@25fps)  when the media file associated with the clip is opened by AMT2.   I have several clips from the customer as samples, all fail the same way.

The error is "UNKNOWN AMT EXCEPTION" (error code 72) when calling OpenMxfFile with the uncompressed XML below.  Our product does not have issues with the same format/rate/raster created with AMT2 or Avid editor.

NOTE also- that MPEG2 (VCID 160) media created at this customer with the exact same product works with NO AMT2 issues.   This is VERY repeatable with these clips.

ftp://ftp.nltek.com/nlttemp/Avid/AMT2Issues/InterplayMAM_AMT_UnknownError.zip

(username/pw is nlt)

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Best,

Rich 

• Sat, Jan 5 2019 4:26 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 87
    • Points 835

Re: AMT2 OpenMxfFile with Interplay MAM 5.9.5.10037 created DNxHD media

Hi,

Any advice is appreciated.

Just some more info on this since is of some urgency for our mutual customer (A2CNN Albania).  I am not sure if this is an AMT2 (file read issue) or an Interplay MAM file create issue. I realize AMT2 is not supported much (if at all) - but maybe this is something in the created media.

I used the AMT3 toolkit to extract essence and media asset info for two DNxHD 25fps 1920x1080p (185 8 bit - VCID 1238).  One clip is created with the AMT2 toolkit - and can be opened with no issues with the AMT2 toolkit later.   The other is created with Interplay MAM 5.9.5.10037 - made a few days ago - and is from the customer.  NOTE - other formats - IMX50 for example - created with Interplay MAM are working ok with AMt2.

AMT2 CAN NOT open the Interplay mam (IM) created video file for decompress - OpenMxfFile fails with UNKNOWN AMT EXCEPTION" (error code 72) 

From examining the XML info extracted - only a few metadata differences stand out, notably

AMT2 clip has coding equations metadata, IM does not.

AMT2 clip has reference levels and color range parameters, IM does not

IM file has TransferCharacteristic - AMT2 does not.  

AMT2 has tape descriptor metadata, IM clip is an import descriptor

Bottom line is that we cannot successfully open the Interplay MAM DNxHD clip for the purpose of using AMT2 to add a new proxy format.    The issue is at the file open.  I assume that there is some metadata difference AMT2 does not like.

I will send a copy of the extracted metadata - not sure what will help.  I also put media here earlier as well as the extracted metadata (metadata is in metadata-AMT2-cannot-open-InterplayMAM-media.zip)

ftp://ftp.nltek.com/nlttemp/Avid/AMT2Issues/InterplayMAM_AMT_UnknownError.zip

(username/pw is nlt)

Thanks,

Rich

• Thu, Jan 17 2019 5:11 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 87
    • Points 835

Re: AMT2 OpenMxfFile with Interplay MAM 5.9.5.10037 created DNxHD media

Hi all,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this post.

I am following up to my own post about a legacy product using the AMT 2 toolkit with MXF media created with Interplay MAM 5.9.5.10037.   (we are in the process of moving to AMT3but still have a period where AMT2 products are in use).   

The customer's workflow creates assets (DNxHD and XDCAM-EX 35) using Interplay MAM workflow and the MXF content crashes AMT 2 hard (unhandled exception).   The exception occurs in OpenMxfFile call on the video file.   NOTE - It seems to be limited to HD formats - IMX50 media created with the same workflow does not have an issue.

This is easily recreated with the AMT 2.13.2 toolkit sample program with a simple call:

AMT_DLL_sample_app mxf_to_amt videofilev01b087ab0d.mxf  "" .\Data

Ideally - since AMT2 is essentially no longer in development - a fix to the media creation in Interplay MAM can be identified to maintain compatibility with AMT2 at least with SD and HD formats supported by AMT2.  This appears to be a metadata issue.

Please advise and let me know if you have any questions.  I can post sample of the mxf files to our FTP area if needed.

Right now we are considering extracting the product info from the MXF files and skipping any HD clips with media created with Interplay MAM.  I am hoping that longer term we don't have to do this if a change can be made to the media creation side.

Thank you in advance,

Rich Laws

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller