Latest post Tue, Jan 1 2019 3:07 AM by DStone. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 30 2018 8:49 PM

Source Browser shows “Last Modified” aka Date of Shoot...?

Inside MC, I could use the metadata that resides on my original, legacy-Imported files: The Date it was shot,pre-import into MC (not the MXF MC Creation Date). I just noticed that Source Browser shows both dates, which is very handy if the file itself is AWOL, not on the system and I want to re-import or Link.

Can we somehow copy that “Last Midified” metadata into a Bin column displaying previously Imported files?

Is there a way to do it?  If not, please make it so...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 31 2018 11:12 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,740

Re: Source Browser shows “Last Modified” aka Date of Shoot...?

Sorry, I made a mistake. Forget my comment.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Mon, Dec 31 2018 5:34 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,569
    • Points 45,830
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Metadata support is somewhat lacking in MC. It all depends on what populates the metadata fields, and that's generally the plugin which links/imports the data (including whatever native ingesters are built into MC). For example, if I use MediaInfo on my XAVC-S clips, it shows me the the shoot date encoded in the metadata. This does not get populated by the Avid generic plug-in (I don't have the Nablet XAVC-S plug-in for comparison). So it's possible, but not implemented (at least not for the plug-ins that I have available which I normally use).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Dec 31 2018 6:38 PM In reply to

DStone:

Metadata support is somewhat lacking in MC. It all depends on what populates the metadata fields, and that's generally the plugin which links/imports the data (including whatever native ingesters are built into MC). For example, if I use MediaInfo on my XAVC-S clips, it shows me the the shoot date encoded in the metadata. This does not get populated by the Avid generic plug-in (I don't have the Nablet XAVC-S plug-in for comparison). So it's possible, but not implemented (at least not for the plug-ins that I have available which I normally use).

My minor discovery, I think,  was that we can look up a non-supported plug-in's original date, the same one that is shown at the PC finder level. by using Source Browser's "Last Modified" column. It's tantalizing to think that the metadata is sitting inside Source Browser, and wouldn't it be nice to be able to export/send or simply see the same metadate column in our bins... see attached pic  and note the Bin's Creation Dates vs. Source Browser's "Last Modified" dates...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 1 2019 3:07 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,569
    • Points 45,830
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Telegram!:
    My minor discovery, I think,  was that we can look up a non-supported plug-in's original date, the same one that is shown at the PC finder level.
    OK, I see what you mean. The Last Modified date in the source browser matches the shoot date in my XAVC-S as well. So the plug-in sees the metadata, and simply isn't populating it. There's a good feature request (actually I'd like the option to have it set the Shoot Date field instead of the Last Modified date, as it's really what the metadata is about).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller