Latest post Mon, Dec 31 2018 6:18 PM by Isaac T.. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 28 2018 7:46 PM

copy media from multiple drives to one drive for a single project?

hey folks,

so i am trying to get a messy project back in line. the user has the project file on his mac, but media spread across multiple drives. in addition, these hard drives have media from other projects.

ultimately, i'm trying to get all the media for this one project on one g-raid drive. i'm going to copy it onto the new hard drive so i can keep the originals as they are.

my thinking is i could go one of two ways:

1) use MDV, target my project and all the hard drives. do a copy command onto thew new hard drive.

2) use media tool and have it find all the media files (deselecting precomputes and master clips), then just do a consolidate or copy with all the media.

does this sound right and can anyone offer improved/additional advice? thanks.

• Fri, Dec 28 2018 8:04 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,413
    • Points 41,200

Re: copy media from multiple drives to one drive for a single project?

First, look for MDVx.  This is a newer, more feature rich version of MDV.  I would use it.

http://djfio.com/mdv/

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:55 PM In reply to

Note that with all these approaches you are relying on the metadata in the media files having the correct Project name in them.

Each time media is created MC adds the project name (external apps that make Avid media may or maynot add this metadata)

If you need to rely on that metadata to sort the media you need to ensure the media was flagged correctly.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Dec 31 2018 6:18 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 747
    • Points 8,810

@grandosegood:

Sounds right! I'd change this step:

grandosegood:
    2) use media tool and have it find all the media files (deselecting precomputes and master clips), then just do a consolidate or copy with all the media.

Into these steps:

0) Quit Media Composer.

1) (Same step you outlined.)

2) After copying the media to the new hard drive, unmount / disconnect all the other drives with the scattered media. So the only connected media drive is your new drive with all the media in one place.

3) Relaunch Media Composer. MC will rebuild the media stream managers on your new drive.

4) Open your project and voila! The media should be linked to the clips. No need to use Media Tool.

Also, +1 on @jef's suggestion. Make sure you're using MDVx, not MDV. Wink

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller