Latest post Sat, Dec 29 2018 10:49 PM by chuckkahn. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 20 2018 3:22 PM

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

copy path name from Info window gone

I just switched from 2018.4 to 2018.11 and the Info pane for a clip in the source monitor is missing a feature I used regularly -- the ability to select and copy from the path name field.   I used this to create music cue sheets.   Now I guess I'll have to Find Bin and select the folder name from there, which is a lot of opening of bins for every piece of music in the timeline.

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 26 2018 2:36 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 336
    • Points 3,900

Re: copy path name from Info window gone

this sounds like a job for list tool.

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Wed, Dec 26 2018 2:45 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

List tool doesn’t have access to the clip’s path name.   

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:02 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 336
    • Points 3,900

that sucks. I agree that this is absolutely essential for creating cue sheets. Create a feature request to add this to list tool, and if you haven't already, i'd open a support case to log a bug. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Fri, Dec 28 2018 8:45 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

It's more of an omission than a bug.  Do you mean the feature request forum?  Is there a FAQ for where to route feature requests, bugs and feedback to Avid?

• Sat, Dec 29 2018 7:22 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,491
    • Points 64,420

chuckkahn:
    Now I guess I'll have to Find Bin and select the folder name from there, which is a lot of opening of bins for every piece of music in the timeline.
    As a workaround, place a copy of the sequence in its own bin, go to the bin's hamburger menu and "Set bin display" - "Show reference clips", MC will point to the clips in this bin when You matchframe and find bin. Provided that the music sits in a bunch of consistent tracks You can also subclip the sequence carrying over only the relevant tracks. You can also decompose the sequence instead of fiddling with the set bin display command, if You do so, You can display the music duration too. Remember to enable the Source file, Source path, UNC path bin columns. I know this is not what You're used to, but by printing the bin, or exporting to ALE it could even be more covenient than manual copy/paste information. Nonetheless the feature should work as it always did.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Dec 29 2018 10:49 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

I'll still have to copy/paste, because I create a new bin heading called "MUSIC LIBRARY" from just the root folder (not the full UNC path) of the clip, and then I print a bin of subsequences (each subsequence re-named to the cue name) of the episode so that I can use the Start column as the song's timecode position in the episode.   But yes, there should be a way to do this in List Tool, but that's complicated by the fact that a song is often edited in the sequence and the separate edited segments as would be displayed by a List Tool output would clutter up the cue sheet.  I'm just carrying on the print bin method inherited from previous seasons.  I won't have an opportunity to test new methods until the new year.  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller