Latest post Wed, Dec 19 2018 3:50 PM by Kevin Klimek. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 18 2018 4:15 PM

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 27 2007
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Need to up my exporting game.

Got a new MBP with lots of RAM and a top GPU.  Hoping this will help speed up

my default routine of exporting H264 Quicktimes (many times a day of course workingremotely) though I have my doubts . I feel like I've let my knowledge in this area get a bit stale.

Feel like I'm missing something, (QT refs, etc). At the same time it's nice not to take too many steps (Mixdowns)outside MC when

juggling multiple cuts in a 10 minute period.  Am I not harnessing the GPU? (in fact I just finished a two pass compression on 3 min of video and I'm not feeling any dazzling speed increase with the 6 core i7 and Vega20 GPU.

Any thoughts much appreciated.  Thanks!

• Tue, Dec 18 2018 7:21 PM In reply to

Re: Need to up my exporting game.

How long are the projects you're exporting?

What program(s) for encoding are you using?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Dec 18 2018 9:56 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Often :30 sec rough cuts for ads. Have been all day. Probably 30 postings. Honestly, for single pass

1920x1080 H264s its pretty good (as it was on my 2013 MBP).  But getting into 3-5 min videos and wanting to

do 2 pass versions, I was hoping for more speed coming straight out of MC. 2018 MBP with Vega 20 GPU.

But it doesn't seem much different than the old computer.

Is MC using the GPU? Is there a preference I need to set up? 

Or a Radeon driver (like the CUDA driver for GeForce).  I'm a little dense on these matters.

And Media Encoder is what I've got (along with QT pro).  Perhaps I should be sending Ref QTs to

Media Encoder vs. hoping MC will export more quickly.

Thanks for the reply

• Tue, Dec 18 2018 10:12 PM In reply to

I never use MC for export, other than SAS. I'd rather let something else do the encoding work and I can get back to editing.

I've also been playing with Handbrake (freeware) a bit, and have been impressed with the results do far.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Dec 18 2018 10:18 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,340

Thanks, Kevin.  I was thinking about that too. But to eliminate too many steps when things are fast and furious,

are you making Ref QTs?  thx

• Wed, Dec 19 2018 12:26 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Posts 53
    • Points 710

Hey schnitt,

I know it's not your actual question, but do you really need 2 pass? I use 2 pass encoding only when I have to keep the file size very(!) small. Beyond a certain bit rate threshold (depending on the desired resolution) I don't see enough difference in quality that would be worth the additional render time.

Regarding QTRef... I don't trust them. ;) At least not for complex sequences. But that's just a habit, not a rule. ;)) Many AEs I know use them. If the QTRefs do their job properly they can be a good time saver. But If had a couple of short sequences to deal with, I would just batch-export them as SAS and batch-convert externally. If I had to do that daily I would use a conversion app that can create droplets. That way you only have to drag&drop the SAS-files onto the droplet and wait for the output.

• Wed, Dec 19 2018 6:28 AM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 374
    • Points 4,095

schnitt:

Perhaps I should be sending Ref QTs to

Media Encoder

Bear in mind that the latest version of Adobe Media Encoder no longer supports QT Ref files. You can use the 2017 version for this.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 19 2018 11:12 AM In reply to

• St.John
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 262
    • Points 3,230

Also Handbrake doesnt work with Qt refs

St.John

Mac pro 3.33 GHz 6gb ram OSX 10.7.2 qt 7.6.4, MC 6.0.1 AJA IO express gtech drives firewire 800 connection Mac pro 2.8 6gb ram, OSx 10.7.2, MC 6.0.1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 19 2018 3:50 PM In reply to

I don't make QT Reference files either, just SAS, or I force and export to ProRes and work with that in an encoding program.

I then end up making 960 x 540 MP4s (4-8 Mb/s) for client viewing. It all depends on your workflow, but our clients are happy with those sizes, since we are working at an offline stage of the process.

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller